on omega 3 fatty acids / fish oils etc

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Mark-
You're doing really well...keep up the diet, lifestyle and positive outlook. Make that garden grow.
AC
(BTW...lots of folks had mono/EBV they later connect to their MS diagnosis. I know my husband did.)
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i recently had connected a supervisor's cold allergy and prior mono infection, plus family issues with autism, and thyroid problems, to a possible common link to guess what, zinc. a dietary-lifestyle connection. forgot at the time that mono was EBV and that it would connect to low zinc in ms also. it's bugging me now - i have to keep hunting for those resources i had tracked down for her at the time... can't find em!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hehe yea it's enough to drive ya nutters.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

This is the answer to the first question about fatty acids, there are proinflammatory and anti-inflammatory prostangalndins, fatty acids promote anti-inflammatory prostanglandins:
http://forum.ldnresearchtrust.org/index.php?showtopic=7
http://forum.ldnresearchtrust.org/index ... owtopic=40
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

to add to that, grabbed this from msrc.co.uk

Zinc is also important in the production of prostaglandins (PGs). PGs are vital to numerous body functions including, for example: the function of the immune system; the expression and control of inflammation; skin and wound healing; function of the heart and cardiovascular system; absorption of various minerals; body temperature control and the important functions of fertility, conception, and delivery of the infant.

The way in which zinc influences PG production is by potentiating (or supporting the function of) the enzymes which permit the conversion of the polyunsaturated fatty acids into PGs. Zinc thus has a very direct action in stimulating the normal production of PGs thereby maintaining or restoring normal health and fitness.

Zinc deficiency can result in many symptoms, including: loss of appetite, growth retardation, diarrhoea, tremor, hair loss, dandruff, a dry skin rash, white lines on fingernails, increased allergic sensitivity, disturbance of menstrual periods, pre-menstrual syndrome, delay of wound healing, loss of taste or smell sensation, dyslexia, poor night vision, photophobia (sensitivity to light), depression, sleep disturbance, hyperactivity, reduced fertility, loss of sex drive, pre-eclampsia (toxaemia) of pregnancy and post-natal depression.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ursula
Family Member

Is anybody taking codliver oil?

Post by ursula »

I´ve been taking a teaspoon of codliver oil for a while.
It´s much cheaper than the capsules - and I don´t like vitamin tablets very much..

But I´m not sure if it is the right dose?
Is here anyone who thas been taking it for a longer period of time - and did it work?

Ursula
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i just take fish oil omega fatty acid supplements but try to eat more fish. here's a pertinent read for you on cod liver oil ursula:
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrit ... tions.html
it's worth reading the whole page
HTH
JL
ursula
Family Member

Post by ursula »

Hi Jimmylegs,

thank you very much for the interesting link.
Do you also know how much "UI" of vitamin D is one teaspoon of cod liver oil?
I couldn´t find it anywhere..

Ursula
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

Ursula,

I try to take a teaspoon of cod liver oil each day, since I've read this is one of the best sources of Omega-3's (other than just eating fish). The bottle I have says it contains 400 IU's of vitamin D, and whole bunch of vitamin A (though I can't remember right now how much).
ursula
Family Member

Post by ursula »

The taste really is a challenge, isn´t it...
:x

Recent articles (in german) suggested a strong influence of Vitamin D on the frequency of relapses and EDSS score.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ursula if you click through to the dec 2008 update at the bottom of the page i linked to above, you can read this:
"...The authors of the recent commentary ... suggested that modern cod liver oil is low in vitamin D because the deodorization process removes the vitamin while manufacturers fortify the oil with only a fraction of the original amount. As an example, they cited cod liver oil made by Nordic Naturals, advertised as containing only “naturally occurring vitamins A and D,” which has only 3 to 60 IU of vitamin D per tablespoon but between 150 and 12,000 times as much vitamin A... vitamins A and D work together and that without vitamin D, vitamin A can be ineffective
or even toxic..."
if you're up for some biochem, that whole pdf is worth a read too.
i have not read it all yet but it is pretty good stuff from what i've seen so far.
at any rate, i should think it ought to say vit D IU per unit volume on your product label. would be worth hunting down a product that specifies the content. the link above has that list of recommended products - you might visit a few sites and see what the manufacturers have to say for themselves?
for example
Olde World® Icelandic Cod Liver Oil
1tsp = 5000IU vit A 200IU vit D
http://www.gardenoflifeusa.com/
ursula
Family Member

Post by ursula »

Jimmylegs,
thank you very much!
I think 1 teaspoon will be o.k. - I couldn´t take more of it anyway (the aftertaste..!)

Ursula
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

I take the fish oil primarily for the PUFA, not the Vitamin D. I take a separate supplement for that.

The oil I have is mint-flavored, but it's still kinda nasty going down. A teaspoon isn't too bad. I've heard someone makes a lemon-flavored oil, too.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Vitamin A is quite toxic and can cause several problems when taken in high quantities, cod liver oil contains too much of it, better avoid it completely!