on omega 3 fatty acids / fish oils etc

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey dim, i think what they're getting at above is that it's toxic if taken in high doses with not enough vitamin d to work with it. have you read much about that? i'm just starting...
ursula
Family Member

Post by ursula »

I mean, Eskimos who almost exclusively eat fish (and fish oil) seem to be pretty healthy, don´t they..?
Just an Idea...
I still think you can´t be wrong if you take a teaspoon of it every other day (I have to admit that I just don´t manage to take it every day..)

Ursula
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i think you're okay if you have a nice balanced A/D ratio ursula. which is natural and ideal when you eat fish, but it sounds like the refining process for supplemental oil might strip some of that protective d out of the mix. that web link above, those folks do sound like they've read up on the research and they are probably making pretty sound recommendations with respect to best brand choices. i wouldn't feel bad about your cod liver oil, especially if you take some extra d3 along with. 60IU or 200IU every other day won't cut it!
hlm286
Family Elder

cod liver oil

Post by hlm286 »

I bought cod liver oil capsules because I've read so many reccomendations for it but I noticed that the bottle says that cod liver oil can cause low blood pressure so to be careful. I usually have relatively low blood pressure already so this scared me off of it. Does anyone notice an effect on your blood pressure when taking it? What do you think about its safety?
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

I tend to have blood pressure on the low side also; not abnormally low such as preventing me from giving blood. I think it was around 120/75. I take fish oil capsules (switched from cod liver oil), and it hasn't negatively affected me (at least as far as I can tell). Though, I didn't note my blood pressure at my last doctor appointment, so I don't know if it is being affected. The nurse didn't flag it.
scoobyjude
Family Elder

Post by scoobyjude »

I have relatively low blood pressure also and have taken fish oil everyday for the last 3 years (never tried straight cod liver oil) and it hasn't affeced me adversely so far.
Frank
Family Elder

How fishoil works against inflamation

Post by Frank »

Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

The cellular physiology of omega-3 fatty acids

Post by NHE »

Here is a good recent review paper on the cellular physiology of omega-3 fatty acids which discusses how fatty acids such as DHA and EPA alter the physical structure of the cell membrane to reduce inflammation. Note that the entire paper is available for free at the link below.

Polyunsaturated fatty acids, membrane organization, T cells, and
antigen presentation

Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:1277– 89.

Dietary supplementation with polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), especially those of the n-3 class, has immunosuppressive effects on both innate and adaptive immunity through various mechanisms. In this review, we focus on the PUFA modulation of membrane architecture and its consequent effects on both T cell responses and antigen presentation. We first use data from in vitro and in vivo experiments to make the case that the immunosuppressive effects of PUFAs begin with membrane incorporation and modulation of lipid-protein lateral organization. This in turn inhibits downstream signaling mediated by T cell receptors and suppresses T cell activation and proliferation. Next, we review evidence for PUFA-mediated alteration of major histocompatibility complex class I and II surface expression and antigen presentation. We propose that PUFAs influence the expression of major histocompatibility complex by altering its conformation, orientation, lateral organization, and trafficking, with consequences for recognition by effector T cells. Finally, we present data from model membrane studies to explain the physical principles that make PUFA acyl chains unique in modifying membrane lateral organization and protein function. An important concept to emerge from these studies is that PUFA acyl chains and cholesterol molecules are sterically incompatible. By applying this concept to the T cell activation and signaling model, mechanisms emerge by which PUFAs can modulate membrane lipid-protein lateral organization. Our data-based models show that membrane modification of both effectors and targets is an important, often over-looked, mechanism of immunomodulation by PUFAs.

NHE
scottdon

Fish Oil Where to get it?

Post by scottdon »

Hello,

I have read a lot about high dose fish oil and was wondering where you get it. I am thinking upwards of 20grams a day. Thanks.

Peace,
Scott
msmything
Family Elder

Post by msmything »

Hi Scottdon, welcome.

My husband uses a fishoil he gets at the Vitamin Shoppe that has provided him with relief from arthritis pain.
Not much of a clever name, it's called Fisol.
I take it too, but I take lots of stuff so I don't know what's responsible for what.
You'll find lot's of info on this site. There's someone called Jimmylegs who knows a world about supplements, find any of her posts and IM her..
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle..
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Fish Oil Where to get it?

Post by NHE »

scottdon wrote:I have read a lot about high dose fish oil and was wondering where you get it. I am thinking upwards of 20grams a day. Thanks.
I would suggest you just go into your local health food store and start reading the labels to learn about the products which are available. You can also do a little research online if that's easier. I'm currently taking 6 grams/day which provides 1800 mg or the omega-3 fatty acids DHA + EPA.

NHE
MSConqueror

Re: Fish Oil Where to get it?

Post by MSConqueror »

scottdon wrote:Hello,

I have read a lot about high dose fish oil and was wondering where you get it. I am thinking upwards of 20grams a day. Thanks.

Peace,
Scott
Solaray, Carlson Labs are good brands just to name a few. I buy my supplements at the Vitamin Shoppe. They have a webiste if you don't have one in your local area. I take 6 grams a day which is twice the recommended amount.
Dave_NC
Getting to Know You...

Post by Dave_NC »

Look into:

Optimal EFA Sirt Supreme (Biotics Research)
Highly concentrated essential fatty acid blend providing an extremely effective combination of EFA, DHA and GLA, with all natural mixed tocopherols formulated to be high in y (gamma)-Tocopherol.
Learning and living everyday to the fullest. dx'd Oct. 2008. On the list for Liberation!
http://www.liberatedave.com http://mylifewms.blogspot.com
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

Hi Scotdon-
20 grams !! a day? That is a lot--overkill possibly--why so high?
could present possible bleeding, and other, problems.
adamt
Family Elder

Which Fish oil: Omegs 3 or Omega 3,6,9?

Post by adamt »

Hi,

I was wondering which form of Fish oil is advised for MS.

Both sre 1000mg capsules:

Omega 3
or
Omega 3,6,9

Also what is the adequate amount to take daily?
1000mg twice daily?

thanks