Drugs to help an over active bladder,which is most effective

A forum to post questions, answers and discussion about general medications not specifically for multiple sclerosis, such as prednisone, painkillers, etc.
adamt
Family Elder

Drugs to help an over active bladder,which is most effective

Post by adamt »

Hi,

I took Tolterodine xl 4mg for 2 months with a slight improvement in frequency, but have been taking Trospium 60mg for the past 3 weeks with significant improvements.

taking no medication would pass urine every 2-2.5hours
on Tolterodine would pass urine every 2.5-3.5 hours
on Trospium pass urine every 3-5.5 hours

I was wondering which bladder drugs others found most successful?

Also my doctor said as the nervous system is involved in the bladder its inevitable there would be some negative effects of taking the medication long term.
but said you have to have a quality of life , and feels bladder drugs can improve ones quality of life.

are there dangers of taking anti-muscurinic and anti-cholinergic on a daily basis?
i did read on the following site that Trospium does n-ot/barely crosses the blood brain barrier

i have noticed my vision is effected somewhat, only when reading - i also am constipated sometimes
LR1234
Family Elder

Re: Drugs to help an over active bladder,which is most effec

Post by LR1234 »

I am having over active bladder issues at the moment, I believe coupled with some sort of bladder infection.
Not had these symptoms of having to rush to the loo to pee before (it has been about 6 weeks now)
Hope the antibiotics do something to help and that its not just 100% an MS thing.
I have not tried any meds yet as its too early to say whether mine is a permanent fixture.