Progress on new cannabis based treatment for MS patients

A cannabis derived drug which has been approved in some countries to treat muscle spasticity.
MSUK
Family Elder

Progress on new cannabis based treatment for MS patients

Post by MSUK »

Progress on new cannabis based treatment for MS patients in Eire

Efforts at making a medication derived from cannabis available for persons with Multiple Sclerosis have moved a step closer, with the completion of the European Mutual Recognition Procedure.

Galway West Deputy Seán Kyne confirmed the news this week, saying that he had a number of representations made to him by constituents concerned at the lack of availability in Ireland of Sativex, a cannabis-derived medication which has been shown to successfully alleviate some of the debilitating symptoms of MS.

“Sativex is available in Britain and the US and has been very successful in assisting people with MS. I first raised the issue of its availability here with the Minister when several constituents contacted me who either have MS or have relatives or friends with the condition.

“Since last September, Minister Reilly and his Department have been examining how to proceed with introducing such a medication that requires the amendment of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1977 which rightly prohibits the manufacture, production, preparation, sale, supply, distribution and possession of cannabis but unfortunately also prohibits cannabis-based medicinal products.”... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1814
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Progress on new cannabis based treatment for MS patients

Post by HarryZ »

It's amazing how moralistic and political views about Sativex has slowed its approval time around the world. Although developed in Britain, the first country to approve the drug was Canada (back in 2005 I believe). It has taken this long for other countries to get their thinking around the politics and believe the science. Hopefully MS patients in ever increasing numbers will be able to take advantage of its benefits.

Harry
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

its funny, if they introduce sativex here, the uproar it will start

cbd illegal in marijuana but cbd legal as a drug, Ćcking politicians piss me off
Last edited by civickiller on Mon May 21, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
munchkin
Family Elder

Post by munchkin »

There is still an uproar in Canada about Sativex. My neuro is refusing to prescribe it, he says the cognitive issues are long lasting. This is from the MS clinic neuro, he would much rather prescribe drugs for epilepsy.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

munchkin wrote:There is still an uproar in Canada about Sativex. My neuro is refusing to prescribe it, he says the cognitive issues are long lasting. This is from the MS clinic neuro, he would much rather prescribe drugs for epilepsy.
MS clinic neuros are among the most conservative neuros on earth. They often wear very larg blindfolds which inhibits their thinking. What you have to find is a neuro who is involved with a pain clinic like we did in London, Canada. This guy actually researched MJ and pain and prescribed Sativex for my wife at the time. It helped her a great deal and stopped the leg spasms and associated pain. She was able to quit the drug about 3 months after using it.
munchkin
Family Elder

Post by munchkin »

HarryZ thank-you for sharing your experiences. I agree with you completely and have found that my GP is a lot more willing to try different things. He was prepared to prescribe Sativex but changed his mind and opted for the synthetic pills. They didn't help at all so I think I will try my GP again.
Azaeleaprawn
Family Member

Post by Azaeleaprawn »

HarryZ wrote: MS clinic neuros are among the most conservative neuros on earth. They often wear very larg blindfolds which inhibits their thinking. What you have to find is a neuro who is involved with a pain clinic like we did in London, Canada. This guy actually researched MJ and pain and prescribed Sativex for my wife at the time. It helped her a great deal and stopped the leg spasms and associated pain. She was able to quit the drug about 3 months after using it.
You're not kidding about the neuros at the MS clinics. The one I saw who diagnosed that I had secondary progressive MS and that there was no treatment for me except that I should try to lose more weight as this might improve my walking responded when I asked about medical marijauan and Sativex that marijauana just rots your brain and he wouldn't have anything to do with it.
Wow - I had to choke back the laughter and left me wondering about his mental state.

So I went to a walk in clinic (don't have a GP anymore) and with my MS diagnosis & asked for a prescription for Sativex as well as the Health Canada form for medical marijuana to be filled out and it was all done no questions asked. Unreal, huh?
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

I do not know if people are aware here but from what I have read SativaX is quite an inferior form of cannabis extract, as is vaporizing, smoking or consuming basic cannabis products. There is an good article here on an MS patient getting great benefit from a quality cannabis extract in the form of an oil,

http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/s/21 ... _legalised

It is an extract made from large quantities of plant material. If you want real benefit from cannabis find a dispensary serious about providing a product like this or get some basic knowledge on cannabis genetic types (ones with good cannabinoid profiles), read up on how to grow inside, buy some seeds online, grow your own and learn how to process it into an oil. No court and especially no jury in a million years is going to prosecute an MS patient, at least in any civilized country, not that you would ever get caught if you have any common sense.

FYI an extract like this is nothing like other forms of consumption as well, little psycho-activity or chances for anxiety. I see some MS patients end up complaining of anxiety from cannabis, this is completely avoidable with better understanding of plant genetics and chemical content; THC is always the culprit here when really for medical benefit cannabinoids should be much more of a focus. Dispensaries are also still behind on this, they provide many strains high in THC that were originally black market commercial strains when they should be focusing on developing, or forcing their growers to develop more cannabinoid medically based strains.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

While some people are willing to go through the process that you described in order to obtain the stronger MJ, most are not. They require Sativex or medical MJ. Yes, Sativex isn't as powerful and is pricey but relatively easy to get. Medical MJ, depending on where you live, can be difficult to obtain.

Harry
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

HarryZ wrote:While some people are willing to go through the process that you described in order to obtain the stronger MJ, most are not. They require Sativex or medical MJ. Yes, Sativex isn't as powerful and is pricey but relatively easy to get. Medical MJ, depending on where you live, can be difficult to obtain.

Harry
Hi Harry.

I totally understand and respect that people have limitations on how far they will go, I just wanted to really try and paint a more detailed picture of the issue of cannabis, that there are many variables to consider if trying it and that many methods can be very inferior to those I describe and are pointed out in the article.

With such a serious condition though people should not be put off or scared of going to extra lengths to try what is clearly very successful for some, it is just like a simple indoor garden set up but with some special seeds. As pointed out in the article as well there are different co-ops around in some countries where some people will be able to find help from others who share their problems.

There is a good clip here too looking at the overall issues of cannabis and hemp with interviews with a MS sufferer and Dr David Nutt,

HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Yes, I'm sure that there were a number of readers who benefitted from the information that you provided. At the same time, many won't and/or are not in a position to try what you suggest.

One of the biggest problems potential users have is the stigma behind MJ. I can remember picking up my wife's first Sativex rx and the phamacist whispering if I knew that the medication contained the ingredients of MJ...as if he thought this was a something that should be kept so quiet! We are fortunate to be able to see a pain clinic neuro here who was actually studying MJ in trials. He stated that it was a pain medication like many others and was comparing its side effects to other drugs that his patients were taking. But the looks and comments he got from people in the medical field were incredibly ignorant!

He knew that MJ worked better than most drugs and had fewer side effects.

Harry
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

HarryZ wrote:Yes, I'm sure that there were a number of readers who benefitted from the information that you provided. At the same time, many won't and/or are not in a position to try what you suggest.

One of the biggest problems potential users have is the stigma behind MJ. I can remember picking up my wife's first Sativex rx and the phamacist whispering if I knew that the medication contained the ingredients of MJ...as if he thought this was a something that should be kept so quiet! We are fortunate to be able to see a pain clinic neuro here who was actually studying MJ in trials. He stated that it was a pain medication like many others and was comparing its side effects to other drugs that his patients were taking. But the looks and comments he got from people in the medical field were incredibly ignorant!

He knew that MJ worked better than most drugs and had fewer side effects.

Harry
I always find it amazing how well government and media propaganda can create such a perspective within society, especially amongst those in scientific fields who should understand any substance should be viewed on its scientific merits. It is almost simply a pack mentality of fear that the perception must be maintained otherwise they are going to trip and fall over some imaginary line; then again nothing happens quickly within medicine as well.

Is it also true in some countries one of the leading MS treatments has been re-branded and doubled in price? I just read someone mentioning this and that this same pharma company is also the one who has taken government money to develop drugs from cannabis, while the same governments declare cannabis has no medical value.

Sorry I am getting too political but people if they can need to get over this delusion of stigma or fear and stop putting up with this government and big business BS. Not like you have to tell anyone what you are doing anyway if you are worried about how your doctor, family or friends might react. It is actually groups of patients who can start making a big difference in the debate.

But yes if you do have trepidation or worries with the actual physical use of it is best not to try it, can become a nocebo (reverse placebo) where you psychologically sabotage yourself; especially doing it with anything psychoactive is a recipe for a bad experience.