Alemtuzumab lessens relapses, improves disability in MS

A board to discuss the soon-to-be released drug Campath as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
MSUK
Family Elder

Alemtuzumab lessens relapses, improves disability in MS

Post by MSUK »

Alemtuzumab lessens relapses, improves disability in MS - studies

Two new trials offer proof that a leukemia drug long used to treat multiple sclerosis works better than a common treatment.

When compared with the widely used drug interferon beta, the leukemia drug alemtuzumab reduced relapse rates by half, researchers say.

Alemtuzumab Reverses Disability in Some

Alemtuzumab has been used to treat MS for close to two decades, but it has never been approved for this use. It is given by IV infusion.

The drug not only reduced relapses, but improved disability associated with MS, such as loss of coordination or difficulty walking, in some patients.

Side effects include infusion reactions, infections, and potentially serious autoimmune disorders. Patients taking it must be followed closely.

“In the menu of treatment choices for MS patients, I think alemtuzumab falls into the ‘high-reward, high-risk’ category,” says Alasdair Coles, MD, of Britain’s University of Cambridge, who led one of the newly published studies.

“No other drug has been shown to offer the benefits in terms of disability improvement that this drug shows,” he says. "It comes with problems, but these problems are manageable.”... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1307
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Alemtuzumab lessens relapses, improves disability in MS

Post by CureOrBust »

I am confused. On the same page linked above, are the quotes
Lemtrada, also known as alemtuzumab, is a so-called monoclonal antibody administered to patients through infusions for five consecutive days when they begin the treatment and for another three days 12 months later.
But on the same page, we have the heading.
FDA refuses oral MS drug Lemtrada filing
I would guess its some kind of typo.
MSUK
Family Elder

Post by MSUK »

Yep typo....................opps! *my bad*

Corrected, thanks :-D
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
KobeSystem

Post by KobeSystem »

I'm tired of dinking around with Interferons and Copaxone, but am still highly functional, but getting worse... vision is starting to get seriously whacked, the pain is becoming unbearable, etc... so, the neurologists that I have seen are like "let's wait till you have a major disability, then we'll look at more serious options".... I'm also JC+ so Tysabri is really out...

SO.... I need a referral to a neurologist (anywhere in the world... I'm in US, but am willing to travel and pay out of pocket) who will give me Campath. Any referrals?