Link to search is missing

If you're having any problems with the site, please post here and a site administrator will respond.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Link to search is missing

Post by HappyPoet »

Hi NHE,

I can't find the old search function link. I see the custom google search, but it doesn't work like the old search function. Do you know what I'm doing wrong? Oh, I'm definitely signed in properly.

Thanks very much.

~HP
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Link to search is missing

Post by NHE »

HappyPoet wrote:I can't find the old search function link. I see the custom google search, but it doesn't work like the old search function. Do you know what I'm doing wrong? Oh, I'm definitely signed in properly.
Arron, our administrator, changed the search function. The old search engine is still available. It has some useful features like being able to search by author. However, it was not without problems. For example, if a search term was deemed too common in the database, then it would just drop that term. For example, try searching for Avonex in both search tools and see what you get. The Google search may work out better for the site in the long run. As a compromise, Arron added a link for the old phpBB search to the Google search results page. After using the Google search, click the "Advanced Search" link at the top of the page. This will use the old phpBB search engine with your current search terms. Note, for faster access, one could just bookmark the old phpBB search page and go directly to it.
HappyPoet
Family Elder

Post by HappyPoet »

NHE, thanks for explaining. Much appreciated. :)
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

One limitation is that the Google search doesn't appear to do a search by author very well. To get around this you can try going to the member's profile and clicking the "Search user's posts" link. The downside is that this will show all posts and cannot be combined with other keywords.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

It's in the Forums FAQ thread.

Q: What are the options available for searching the forum?
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/site-supp ... tml#p37463

Return to “Site Support”