Fluoroquinolones can cause neurological side effects

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Re: Fluoroquinolones can cause neurological side effects

Post by SarahLonglands »

It seems as though these drugs were rushed out far too quickly and for no real reason. Perhaps someone can come up with a reason?
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
SeanReynolds
Family Member

Post by SeanReynolds »

The reason is probably money. I've read there's a 'suspicion' over any drug containing functional fluoride groups, which include the fluoroquinolones, and SSRIs like Prozac (fluoxetine) although that might be a bridge too far.

I took norfloxacin very very briefly once and had a near miss with Achilles tendons tears, apparently Cipro is less likely to cause that -- I've seen a study somewhere which ranked several of the fluoros for degree of tendonitis harm.

I've also seen individual accounts and sites on the web of people taking just 1 dose of Cipro and having awful auto-immune problems for years, being crippled, etc.

In the US it was still being commonly recommended to MDs as a frontline drug for simple UTIs, etc, and prescribed accordingly. Smart GPs/MDs will know better by now, of course. It's now euphemistically being recommended only when other abx options don't work -- when in fact you'd probably be better off avoiding it altogether, as it's a game of Russian Roulette.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Sean, you are right to my mind: MONEY!
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.