Going through customs with copaxone

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
aetex
Family Member

Going through customs with copaxone

Post by aetex »

Hi- I am getting ready for a trip to Costa RIca in a couple weeks. I have a copy of my prescription for security on the US side of things, but I am worried that Costa Rica customs may not be so understanding about someone bringing filled syringes into the country.
Has anyone done this? Any advice?
Thank you!

PS I'm on Copaxone 40, traveling for 6 days so I'll only need to take a few doses with me
aetex
Family Member

Re: Going through customs with copaxone

Post by aetex »

I had an appointment with my neurologist today and he is having a letter written stating that I am in possession of prescribed medication. This was the recommendation of Shared Solutions. I will let you all know how this goes for the sake of continuity and future reference.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Why not contact Costa Rica customs before you trip and find out their requirements?
aetex
Family Member

Post by aetex »

I've tried...but it's difficult to find contact information for anyone in customs. The only phone number I have found that is an english line has a full mailbox. While I am able to communicate in spanish on a basic level, I don't think I am able to have this conversation in spanish effectively.

I did find this statement on the Costa Rica embassy page just last night:

"If you need to take your personal medicine while traveling to Costa Rica, please consider the following:
Carry just the necessary quantity, which is the quantity normally used by a person having your health problem.
You should have a prescription or a written statement from your doctor, specifying that the medicine is being used under his/her control and that you need it for your physical health.
Have the medicines labeled or properly identified."

I think it will be fine. A week of relaxing on a Costa Rican beach may be the best medicine anyway :)
aetex
Family Member

Post by aetex »

I went through security 4 times (3 times in US, once in Costa Rica) and customs/immigration in both countries. Not one time was my baggage questioned. No one asked to search and no one asked why I had syringes packed. OF course, I was prepared with a copy of my prescription as well as a letter from my neurologist, but it turned out to be unnecessary.
Hope this thread helps the next traveller!

PS- a week on an amazing beach really is the best medicine!!! I feel better than I have in months!
DougL
Family Elder

Post by DougL »

good to hear
mccpm
Getting to Know You...

Post by mccpm »

Hello. I travel a lot outside of the US and I have never had a problem with anyone questioning my medication in Asia, Europe or Latin America. I think it is safe to say that most places will not question your needles.
mccpm
Getting to Know You...

Post by mccpm »

Also I have carried up to 14 needles into many countries in the regions I mentioned and have never been questioned on any occasion.