Request for physician participation in graduate thesis

Discuss physical medical devices that can be used to treat or improve MS symptoms
drswett

Request for physician participation in graduate thesis

Post by drswett »

My name is Daniel and I’m running an IRB approved survey study examining the impact of injection device usability on at-home patient experiences and by extension the healthcare system. To the best of my knowledge this will be the first study to examine the effects of usability as derived from the entire spectrum of injection devices, as well as the repercussions on all parties involved (the patients using the devices, the healthcare providers who train the patients, and the physicians prescribing the devices). The results of this study should generalize to all domains of medicine that prescribe injection devices and thus has huge potential to benefit patients, Healthcare Providers, Physicians and the Healthcare System on a large scale; if the information gathered is utilized by pharmaceutical companies to design more usable injection devices then:

1. Patients may become more willing to start and maintain injection medication regiments, which would increase compliance and lead to better long term health outcomes

2. On average, patients would have more successful injections, more positive experiences using their injection medications and incur less injuries, all of which would contribute to positive patient perception of injection regimens

3. Less medication would be wasted, reducing costs to the healthcare system and/or the patient

4. The amount of time spent by Healthcare Providers training patients to self-inject would be reduced, freeing them to perform their other duties

5. Resources for patients experiencing difficulties self-injecting would be less utilized, reducing the need and thus costs of these resources

I currently have several hundred patient responses, 50 Healthcare provider responses, and 20 physician responses. Most of my physician responses have been from endocrinologists and rheumatologists. As my intention is to publish the results of these surveys I am trying to make the samples as large and diverse, and thus generalizable, as possible

I am posting in this forum because it appears to be a viable place to invite physicians from unrepresented specialties to take a brief and anonymous survey. If you are a physician who prescribes injection devices for patients to use at home, I would love to get your input on issues related to device usability. The physician survey can be found at:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3S7L8WT

If you have any questions or concerns you would like clarified, please contact me.

I look forward to your response.

Best,
Daniel