The biotin trial results are out

Biotin is an emerging therapy for the treatment of secondary progressive MS.
DrGeoff
Family Elder

Re: The biotin trial results are out

Post by DrGeoff »

NHE wrote:
It might be helpful to know what type of test is used in order to know if the potential interference might raise or lower the results.
Agree - and I cannot find out.
The standard test for PSA works in nanograms/milliliter (ng/ml)with a "tripwire" level of 4, modified up to 7 by the patient's increasing age.
Last time, I came in at 31.5. A PCP at our surgery said that this was not high, and he had known people who exceeded 100.
However, an enlarged prostate is now confirmed by physical examination, so my concerns are now a) is it cancerous, and b) this is not good for emptying a bladder properly.
The real trouble is that MS can play with the nervous signals from bladder to brain, creating a false sense of urgency. This can be ignored right up to the point where it really is urgent, and one is only seconds from disaster.
I just want more than two hours unbroken sleep at a time.
And while I was writing this, the next Urology appointment, has just come through, meaning that I have to arrange for another blood sample to be sent off to the hospital for another PSA test.
So I better stop taking Biotin right now!
Geoff
DrGeoff
Family Elder

Re: The biotin trial results are out

Post by DrGeoff »

This is a followup to my post of Nov 16. Since then:
I stopped Biotin 4 days before a blood draw for the PSA test and stayed off for another few days before a Urology appointment.
I have just had the copy report to my General Practitioner.
The PSA level had dropped to normal for age, and there was no sign of a UTI.
At the appointment the consultant told me categorically "that there was no way that Biotin could affect a PSA test".
Since he came from Central Europe where 10mg is a normal daily dose for healthy hair, I am inclined to believe the Cerenday/MedDay statement that it could at higher dosages. Otherwise, I would wonder how a reading of 31.5 could drop to 4.5 in less than two months.
I suggest that anyone who is on Biotin at 300mg/day and who has to have one of the bloodtests in the list posted by HappyPoet on page 8, should stop taking the Biotin several days before, so as to flush the Biotin out of their system.
You do not want a false reading on any test (positive OR negative).
Geoff