The biotin trial results are out

Biotin is an emerging therapy for the treatment of secondary progressive MS.
phillo

Re: The biotin trial results are out

Post by phillo »

I'm wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't buy a 10 month supply of this?
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

I'm 10 days in on my trial with this. No adverse effects yet.

Log of what I've been doing here:

http://enhancedbiotintrial.blogspot.com/
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Please let's try to keep this all on a single thread. Can we move these posts NHE?

PN
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Jimpsull what's up with the peanuts? Is that part of the treatment? I have a deadly allergy to peanuts so I absolutely can't do that.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I'm wondering if there's any reason I shouldn't buy a 10 month supply of this?
Just remember, the supplement form is usually 1%. 99% of those capsules is filler. If you buy pure biotin in bulk, each capsule has to be 300mg, according to what I have read about the clinical trial. The shelf life of this stuff is 2 years, so don't get more than 1/4 kg at a time. Do not construe anything I write or say as medical advice, or advice of any kind. I am not a doctor.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Simvic

Post by Simvic »

Just joining
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

David1949 wrote:Jimpsull what's up with the peanuts? Is that part of the treatment? I have a deadly allergy to peanuts so I absolutely can't do that.
on his blog: http://enhancedbiotintrial.blogspot.com ... y-025.html
Food containing biotin most likely also contain elements that aid in the body’s absorption of biotin
o Peanuts, swiss chard, egg yolks (but egg yolks contain saturated fat which is contra-indicated for MS)
I would guess his reasoning that food containing Biotin also contains other stuff that would help absorption/utility of Biotin.
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

Yes, CureOrBust, that is my theory exactly. There is a fair amount of evidence that nutrients obtained through food are more effective that supplements. Why would this be? Most likely there are elements present in those foods that aid in the body's use of those nutrients. Basically I believe that God is smarter than we are.

Swiss chard, mushrooms, cauliflower, sunflower seeds are all foods containing biotin. Nothing magical about peanuts, they're just handy for me to carry around. I work full time and haven't disclosed MS. Taking biotin hourly with a peanut is more discreet than with the other foods (especially in meetings).
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Simvic wrote:Just joining
Welcome Aboard, Sim!

P
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

God may be smarter than we are, but this is no unfathomable puzzle. This is just sick people. I think MS does not have the mystery it once did. I for one would like to know all I can about this trial's results, and why after a century or so of suffering, suddenly biotin does something: maybe. What is its mechanism of action? Is there healing going on? How far can it go? Can it be enhanced (other than by eating designer diets)? This is one can of worms I want to see daylight!

Seriously, this work must proceed, even if biotin is very cheap. I hope there are enough humanitarians around to pursue it.

BTW using pure biotin powder (no filler) and a manual capsule filler I started taking 300mg per day yesterday. The powder came with a bonus electronic scale (100 gram capacity with a tare function to subtract the capsule weight).
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

BTW using pure biotin powder (no filler) and a manual capsule filler I started taking 300mg per day yesterday. The powder came with a bonus electronic scale (100 gram capacity with a tare function to subtract the capsule weight).
May I ask where you bought it?
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

David1949 wrote:
May I ask where you bought it?
I'd like to find out too-don't think its possible to buy it in the UK. An online company sells the pure stuff in 10mg tablets. Its the best I've found.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I never go anywhere. It was North America, I believe, but You Never Can Tell On The INERTNET.
Not a doctor.
scotland
Family Member

Post by scotland »

So I wonder what we can do with this info, and the best way we can built it into our regiments. I wish they had noted the effect on progression, and well as the 12% whom improved.
It is very inexpensive, but you would need to take fairly frequently due to short half life. It may prove to be more beneficial if one starts with a lower edss, with an opportunity to repair what is not quite so badly, or permanently damaged. It may be another thing we all work into our routine that represents one percent of the solution. The dual mode of action makes sense to me.
I might have to go on a road trip to see my buddy in Kanata who can hook me up with some homegrown capsules of biotin.
Scotland