UTI TMI

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

UTI TMI

Post by jimmylegs »

so, i just had a few days of increasing urinary frequency and issues w urgency. it was interfering with my day to day activities and i didn't take quick enough action.
night before last was bad - a painful night peeing every hour or so, and never feeling like i *didn't* have to go. and there was plenty of visible blood.

i started double dosing daily zinc and selenium, i spent 24 hrs eating a lot more red meat than usual, and i added vit A (bc i know the bod needs zinc to utilize vit a so why not help out whatever punch it's gonna pack) plus vit C plus a multi.

last night was much better and i feel almost back to normal now. will probably eat a lot of organic yogurt this eve as well :) relieved to have avoided abx.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: UTI TMI

Post by jimmylegs »

went on a week of field work with a largely veg menu for a week not long after the last post. it was an inconvenient week to stick to a supplement regimen and had a lot of problems with urgency and frequency. back in meat-eating territory this past week and taking supplements more regularly. still have to pay pretty immediate attention when it's time to go to the bathroom. but at least no pain or anything else!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Have you tried cranberry supplements?
Quest56
Family Elder

Post by Quest56 »

jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

neither - i eat dried cranberries though. waaaay back in the 90s when i had my first alt med xp it was for chronic rounds of abx/utis and at that time uva ursi tea and probiotics that sorted me out. then after a ~15 yr interval, one more infection. the pbx - uva ursi combo failed me and i ended up on abx for the first time in ages. that was before i figured out the zinc deficiency issue. now another 10 yrs later i just went straight to the minerals - but not just zinc. i've had a week now of choosing my own food plus zinc, selenium, and a few other things to round it out, and things seem fine now :)
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Sounds like a great first defence JL. I shall keep in mind :)

Also, having read around about UTIs recently, the uvi ursi seems to popular although I have never tried this.

I heard the cranberry (juice or supps) stops the bacteria sticking to the bladder wall - so a great preventative option - not much use once a UTI has happened though.
Quest56
Family Elder

Post by Quest56 »

garlic extract, perhaps another option:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 101332.htm
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

haven't tried that myself, although it makes sense that it would do something.

i'm still muddling along with zinc and selenium and things still seem pretty much back to normal as long as i behave. i'm down to half strength zinc pills at the moment and they're not idea. my legs are doing their little 'jimmy' thing - it's been years since i've had that happen and for me, it's a zinc thing. also have a white spot on a fingernail.

Return to “Daily Life”