Hello I'm New

A place for discussion related to MS and veterans.
nurse261

Hello I'm New

Post by nurse261 »

I'm new to the website
I'm a retired Navy Nurse since 2010 when they discovered my ms and since I was no longer "world wide deployable" on active duty - I was med boarded out with full benefits as if I did the full 20 years - my question is as a 100% Disabled American Veteran with the VA, should I have applied for Social Security Disability too all this time? I worked full time up until 2010 but I hear you must apply for it before 10 years is up? Something like that
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Hello I'm New

Post by NHE »

nurse261 wrote:I'm new to the website
I'm a retired Navy Nurse since 2010 when they discovered my ms and since I was no longer "world wide deployable" on active duty - I was med boarded out with full benefits as if I did the full 20 years - my question is as a 100% Disabled American Veteran with the VA, should I have applied for Social Security Disability too all this time? I worked full time up until 2010 but I hear you must apply for it before 10 years is up? Something like that
Welcome to ThisIsMS. I don't know how your disability status with the VA affects social security. However, it general, it's best to apply for social security as soon as possible. They use a point system that evaluates your past income which is used to calculate your benefits. The sooner you apply, the better off you will be. You may wish to check the SSA website for more information.

http://www.ssa.gov/
Froggie
Family Elder

Re: Hello I'm New

Post by Froggie »

I know this is an older post, but this may be helpful. I think you have to have worked in the last five years or the government won't award disability. My husband tried going the same route (he has terminal COPD) and now has straight social security but no disability. He is retired and takes care of me. I don't know what the cutoff date for veterans is, but you unfortunately need to visit the local social security office in your area. Believe me, we're all smart as hell and dealing with the government is like pulling teeth. Face to face with a human is always the better route. If you know of someone with the VA who has gone through the disability process, even better. Perhaps they can help guide you through the labyrinth! Good luck.

Return to “Veterans and MS”