Tecfidera & Constipation?

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
krusher14

Tecfidera & Constipation?

Post by krusher14 »

I have been on Tecfidera for a little over 2 years now. For the first 6 months or so I had stomach pains and nausea with occasional vomiting. All that has pretty much disappeared. I also had the flushing, which I still get, but for a short amount of time. It's tolerable. Since I started taking Tecfidera though, I have been have problems with constipation. This seems to be not the norm, since many are complaining of diarrhea. I, along with my doctor(s!) have been trying to determine if this is a side-effect of the Tecfidera, or something else. (I am on numerous other medications, Vesicare included.) Just wondering if anyone else might be having the same issue?
Froggie
Family Elder

Re: Tecfidera & Constipation?

Post by Froggie »

I've been on Tecfidera for about two years myself and am not aware that constipation is a side effect. It is not uncommon for MS sufferers to experience constipation and it may not be drug related. I have noticed that I have slight problems with constipation that coincide directly with my period, usually about two or three days before. I find eating fiber seems to help.
krusher14

Post by krusher14 »

That is pretty much what I have suspected. All my doctors seem to think the Vesicare I am on is the culprit. Thank you!
Maly

Post by Maly »

Hi,
Dont know if it helps but I had a feeling of contipation, it hurt, about a week on Tec. As I had normal bowel movements it was asumed it was air pressing in my system. Once the air pains in my stomach dissapeared so did the feeling of constipation..
krusher14

Post by krusher14 »

Yes, that sounds like the pain that I was having as well, however, I was not having regular bowel movements. Had some periods when I couldn't/didn't really even pass gas, so yes, gas-bloating-constipation pain.
Since I originally posted my issue, I have stopped taking the Vesicare (starting something different) and I already was feeling better, having regular movements and little bloating three days after stopping. Vesicare seems to have been the culprit, as suspected.