Possible MS Hug - do I call the Neuro?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
bingbb

Possible MS Hug - do I call the Neuro?

Post by bingbb »

I had a very intense back spasm that radiated to my abdomen for about 36 hours. My husband was concerned and wanted me to call the doctor, but who do I call? Is this something I should call the neuro about now, or mention at my follow-up in February? I had MRI in Nov., found several lesions, and was asked to come back in February for a follow-up.

Thanks!
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Possible MS Hug - do I call the Neuro?

Post by ElliotB »

If you are looking to have some kind of treatment done, like steroids, then yes you should call. If you are concerned it may be something else, you have nothing to loose by seeing a doctor. Better safe than sorry.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

When you say "had" do you mean it has passed or it is still there?

Regards
bingbb

Post by bingbb »

I am still having it, but not as extreme. Now I feel kind of sore from having all the spasms, but don't really feel the spasms anymore (unless I move to quickly, then my whole midsection seizes up).
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

You can have a spasm for all sorts of reasons. If it is easing I would get a few gentle massages and see if that helps. If it is persistent then see a neuro. The risk in linking the spasm with MS is the neuro will be likely to add more drugs that may make a difference but not really help.
If there are other symptoms emerging then a review would be in order.

Do you exercise at all?

Regards,
Last edited by Scott1 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StaryNight
Getting to Know You...

Post by StaryNight »

Could there be anything else going on? Do you notice more pain on the right side or right upper quad? It could be a gallbladder issue but I would still have it checked out.
bingbb

Post by bingbb »

Thank you all for responding and the questions! I do exercise some, mostly walking or elliptical, when I am feeling well enough. Was doing pretty good about it, then had a crash over the holidays and then this back thing. I have had issues for a very long time and am very aware of things that may cause pain, spasm, etc. and am not aware of anything I did. I was fine and then next thing I know, while sitting at my desk at work I started feeling the spasm in my back, by bedtime it was worse and by the next day it was radiating around to my abdomen. Yesterday morning was awful and then it started to get better. Today is much better and only feel a twinge on deep breath or stretching.

Pain was mid-back down to hips and then cinched around to my abdomen. Equal on both sides. I eat pretty healthy and drink lots of water.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I've had a full blown MS hug and it didn't follow that course. Obviously something is going on. If you had a crash I would look for a physical impairment first. Someone should probably arrange a scan of your spine either way. As you have lesions then kill two birds with one stone. Neurologists do a lot more than look at a MS symptoms so you have the perfect excuse to get the best technical opinion you can.
Walking is always a good exercise but you may have a very tight psoas or lateral muscle and the right sort of recovery probably involves exercises aimed at releasing them. A neuro can refer you to a rehabilitation provider rather than the local gym.

Regards,