What is happening to my 4 year old!

This forum is for parents and caregivers of kids under 21 with MS.
JaniceEvans

What is happening to my 4 year old!

Post by JaniceEvans »

My husband has MS, was diagnosed with RRMS in 2008. We have a 4 year old that SCREAMS about shin pain. We took him to the Dr and they did x-rays that all came back neg (for shin splints or fractures). They ruled out growing pains because it is the shins and not joints. We saw Connective Tissue and they said they do not think it is a connective tissue issue. He will also tell us that water is dripping on his face. Now this occurs when we are in the house, and there are no leaks! We met with Neuro a few weeks ago and they wanted to test his Vitamin D. Well just received the results and guess what.....his is low!! Now they told us to give him 2000ui a day and see them again in 3 months. Now given my husbands medical history should they not be looking into this further? The numbness in the face! The extreme shin pain (which causes him to not to be able to walk)! They said his 'physical was strong' so they do not see a need to do an MRI. Then the pediatrician told me that insurance co's do not like to pay for MRI's and sedation!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! WHY DO I PAY OVER $500 A MONTH FOR MY FAMILY TO HAVE THE BEST HEALTH PLAN?!?!?!?!?!? I am at my wits end!! And advice???
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: What is happening to my 4 year old!

Post by lyndacarol »

JaniceEvans wrote:My husband has MS, was diagnosed with RRMS in 2008. We have a 4 year old that SCREAMS about shin pain. We took him to the Dr and they did x-rays that all came back neg (for shin splints or fractures). They ruled out growing pains because it is the shins and not joints. We saw Connective Tissue and they said they do not think it is a connective tissue issue. He will also tell us that water is dripping on his face. Now this occurs when we are in the house, and there are no leaks! We met with Neuro a few weeks ago and they wanted to test his Vitamin D. Well just received the results and guess what.....his is low!! Now they told us to give him 2000ui a day and see them again in 3 months. Now given my husbands medical history should they not be looking into this further? The numbness in the face! The extreme shin pain (which causes him to not to be able to walk)! They said his 'physical was strong' so they do not see a need to do an MRI. Then the pediatrician told me that insurance co's do not like to pay for MRI's and sedation!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! WHY DO I PAY OVER $500 A MONTH FOR MY FAMILY TO HAVE THE BEST HEALTH PLAN?!?!?!?!?!? I am at my wits end!! And advice???
Welcome to ThisIsMS, Janice (JaniceEvans).

I urge you to read The Vitamin D Solution by Michael F. Holick, PhD, MD.

(page 70)
The United States has seen a resurgence of rickets in the last few years. This has motivated the American Academy of Pediatrics to voice its concern and reconsider its recommended daily vitamin D intake for children and adolescents. Because the disease had become so rare, doctors are not required by law to report it, so no national statistics are available. Doctors trained in an era that hasn't seen rickets are also not up to speed on spotting and treating it. ...

Although the incidence of rickets among American children is still extremely low, it is a growing problem. Parents need to be vigilant about their children's diet and lifestyle. The foundation of treatment for rickets is restoring the child's vitamin D status.… Not a great way to start a long healthy life – especially given the fact that this disease is completely preventable with adequate vitamin D and calcium. Even the child who suffers from less severe vitamin D deficiency will be held back from reaching his or her full development and peak bone mass.…
(page 64, he discusses osteomalacia)
If you have bone pain and your muscles ache and feel weak, you may have a vitamin D deficiency-related condition I described earlier called osteomalacia. Osteomalacia is frequently described as "softening of the bones." This is slightly misleading. Osteomalacia is a condition in which the bones don't harden properly during the building phase. A lack of vitamin D is the most common cause of osteomalacia.

Unlike osteoporosis,… the chief characteristic of osteomalacia is severe, unrelenting, deep bone pain.… Usually there is tenderness of the bones when the doctor pushes down even lightly on the area… The pain from osteomalacia is a result of the unhardened, Jell-O-like bone matter pressing outward against the periosteum, which is the nerve-filled fibrous sheath that covers the bones. People with osteomalacia often complain of throbbing, aching bone pain and muscle aches and weakness.

Osteomalacia most severely affects sufferers during the winter months, when lack of vitamin D production is most pronounced. Often the pain associated with osteomalacia is constant, pounding, and severe.…

How do we test for osteomalacia? X-rays and bone density tests aren't effective diagnostic tools because they cannot distinguish between osteomalacia and osteoporosis. If my patient complains of the characteristic symptoms of this condition and a physical examination reveals bone pain when I press down lightly on… the outside of the shin of the lower leg…, then I diagnose that person with vitamin D deficiency-related osteomalacia and initiate intensive vitamin D therapy,…
I have no medical background; but given your child's low vitamin D status, this would seem to be a good area to discuss with the doctors.

By the way, it might be a good idea for your husband to have his vitamin D level checked, too. Many symptoms of vitamin D deficiency are neurological.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Sorry to hear that your son is ill.

A direct connection between your husband's illness and your son's current symptoms it is very unlikely because of his age. If you are not happy with your doctor, find another doctor.

Is your son taking a quality multi vitamin? Or any other supplements?

If he is not gluten free, that would probably be a good starting point. Also, eliminate sugar from his diet as much as possible (preferably totally). Both gluten and sugar are hidden in almost all processed foods, and gluten is also hidden in many non-food items such as shampoo (yes, gluten free shampoo is available). At this point, you may want to eliminate all dairy too.

Good luck with your situation and hope he is feeling better soon!
Last edited by ElliotB on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

With the gluten-sensitivity angle – Shepherd, who looked forward to playing soccer, couldn't play because of the pain it caused him.

Susannah Meadows recounts her son Shepherd's experience with juvenile idiopathic arthritis in her NYT article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/magaz ... d=all&_r=0