Just starting to put together vitamins and supplements help!

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
thisiswater
Family Member

Just starting to put together vitamins and supplements help!

Post by thisiswater »

I'm just beginning to organize my supplements after a recent dx of MS. I want the best quality *fresh* (cold pressed Omega-3, fish and/or flax), etc.

- Which supplements would you buy first, where would you buy them?
- How would you store them?
- And what would you add on as time went by?

I'm trying to start with a few key supplements, which I assume are D, B, Omega 3.

Many thanks, I will write my introduction soon!
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Just starting to put together vitamins and supplements h

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

You have just opened the floodgates! Expect many ideas to flow. Mine are on the 19th December here -

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens- ... 9-225.html

Regards,
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

thisiswater wrote:I'm just beginning to organize my supplements after a recent dx of MS. I want the best quality *fresh* (cold pressed Omega-3, fish and/or flax), etc.

- Which supplements would you buy first, where would you buy them?
There are several online retailers that I use. These are...

http://www.vitacost.com
http://www.iherb.com
http://www.luckyvitamin.com

There's lots of overlap with what they carry, but they don't all carry the same thing. I probably use Vitacost the most. They have pretty good customer service.
thisiswater wrote:- How would you store them?
Omega-3 oils, fish and flax, are very easily damaged by heat. They should be stored in the refrigerator. I would not buy flax oil from a retailer that does not use refrigeration. Probiotics should, in general, also be kept refrigerated.
thisiswater
Family Member

Post by thisiswater »

So buy the Omega 3 at Whole Foods where they are refrigerated? Fish oil or Flax?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

thisiswater wrote:So buy the Omega 3 at Whole Foods where they are refrigerated? Fish oil or Flax?
Many fish oil capsules also contain vitamin E as an added preservative. This generally isn't too much of a concern, though it would be best to refrigerate it once you get home. My statement really applied to flax oil as it usually doesn't have vitamin E added. Some health food/supplement stores, such as Super Supplements (now owned by Vitamin Shoppe), have a refrigerated section for flax and other oils. Note that Vitacost will ship Barlene's flax oil (along with a couple of other brands) with a cold pack and insulation at no additional charge (look for the snowflake and thermometer icon). I recall reading that items with this icon are also stored refrigerated in their warehouse.
thisiswater
Family Member

Post by thisiswater »

Thanks for the information. I was disappointed that the only refrigerated Omega 3s at Whole Foods were oils, not capsules. NHE: will order from Vitacost since they ship with a cold pack.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

according to this web site:

https://www.ascentahealth.com/omega-3-a ... need-know/

"Fish oil capsules can be stored at room temperature once the product is opened, as long as they are kept out of direct sunlight and are not exposed to high heat. The material used to encapsulate the fish oil acts as a barrier to oxygen and this barrier helps to prevent oxidation. If stored properly, fish oil capsules will maintain their quality for the duration of the shelf life stated on the product label."

I did a quick search on the internet and it appears the above info is commonly accepted. Who knows. I do not refrigerate my Omega 3 capsules.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I have a pack of fish oil capsules which have a "fishy" taste to them. They are not Rancid. What I think has happened is that a single capsule has leaked some fish oil and has now "contaminated" all the other capsules. This could of happened during the manufacturing plant where 1 capsule "spoiled" 100's of other capsules. In my opinion, keeping them refrigerated (or my preference frozen) may not be necessary, but is a precaution worth using.
avengr13
Getting to Know You...

Post by avengr13 »

I went through much of the vitamin and supplement issues this year. And I am not done yet. The only thing I do know is, if you are adding 3 different things, give your body time to acclimate before you try another. This way, you will know with each addition to your regimen, your bodies reaction. If it is good move on to the next.
Our bodies know a lot. We just have to listen.
SeanReynolds
Family Member

Post by SeanReynolds »

On top of a specific antibiotic protocol to eliminate CPn, one suspected cause of MS, Dr David Wheldon has listed the following useful supplements to take to foster cell regrowth, nutrition, and immune function:

Vit C 1g daily
Vit E 800iu daily
Omega 3 fish oil daily
Evening primrose oil 1g daily
Acetyl L-Carnitine 500mg daily
Alpha Lipoic acid 150mg daily
Ubiquinone (Coenzyme Q10) 200mg daily
Selenium 200 micrograms daily
N-acetyl cysteine 600mg twice daily
Melatonin 1.5mg at night may be considered.
Apart from mitochondrial support, Vitamin D is needed. There is evidence that a relative Vitamin D deficiency is common in MS, and may allow the disease process to begin. High dose supplementation - 4000iu is recommended. (less may be needed in infections other than MS)
In addition, B complex, Magnesium 300mg and Calcium 500mg supplements should be taken. (Calcium salts should be taken remote from doxycycline as it can interfere with absorption.)
High-dose sublingual Vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) should be taken

http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/ms-treatment1.html

My further notes:

On top of these, research suggests taking a high dose Vit B7 (biotin) up to 100mg pd may be useful -- I note Dr Wheldon added this in Jan 2017 to his page. On researching biotin supplements, the highest dose I've found per capsule is 10,000 mcg or 10 mg, requiring 10 a day of these. You could take arbitrarily less, e.g. 4 a day, to avoid side effects and still gain a benefit.
I would also recommend high dose Vit K2 at 400 mcg pd -- I'd recommend the Vitacost Ultra K blend.

These last two trigger new oligodendrocyte production.

Thyroid T3 and Cogentin (both prescription drugs) have also both been found to trigger new oligodendrocyte production, the latter may be preferable to the former due to side effects.

Acetyl l-carnitine is a kind of stimulant and will prevent you sleeping, so should only be taken in the morning. It can also cause nausea.

To treat the nausea caused by abx in the protocol, I highly recommend sustained release ginger-based morning sickness tablets, which last for up to 12 hours in effect, e.g. Elevit sustained release. This can make all the difference in tolerating the protocol.

N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) is an immune booster and is also the best way to increase your glutathione production, however it has the added benefit of killing CPn spores as effectively as penicillin with no noticeable side effects. This is a core part of the abx protocol, not 'just a supplement'.

I would also make calcium a little optional, unless you make sure to take high dose Vit K2 and magnesium, as I'm concerned about calcification effects, particularly in conjunction with taking Vit D3 - this could lead to arterial calcification/plaque problems and consequent cardiac problems. You probably get enough calcium in your diet if you have dairy products at all. There is evidence that Vit K2 and magnesium in particular help shift calcium out of your arteries via some complicated chemistry.

These notes from Dr Mercola from 2011 also suggest:

- iodine
- creatine

in addition to many of Dr Wheldon's recommendations.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... -diet.aspx
jackblack400

Post by jackblack400 »

Why not Biotin? If you Google there are some places you can buy vast quantities of Biotin powder for very little money. High dose Biotin has shown promising results in phase II clinical trials as a neuroprotective. It also seems to be very well tolerated.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

jackblack400 wrote:Why not Biotin? If you Google there are some places you can buy vast quantities of Biotin powder for very little money. High dose Biotin has shown promising results in phase II clinical trials as a neuroprotective. It also seems to be very well tolerated.
An increase in leg spasticity is a fairly common side effect of high dose biotin.

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/search.ph ... mit=Search
eventhis
Getting to Know You...

Post by eventhis »

Dr. Terry Wahls recommends:
Vitamin D: dose based on your personal levels. I take 5000 units per day.
Calcium Citrate 250 mg 1-2 per day
Magnesium 350 mg-400 mg Mag-Glycinate daily
DHA/EPA or fish oil or cod liver oil: 2 grams per day
Mixed vitamin E tocotrienols daily if taking fish oil or DHA/EPA
B-complex: 1 daily
methyl B12: 1,000 mcg daily
L-methylfolate: 1000 mcg daily
Coenzyme Q 200 mg daily
Algae: 2-8 caps or 1 tsp powder
Dietary enzymes: protease, bromeliad, amylase and lipase: 4 or more caps daily on empty stomach
Fiber= freshly ground flaxseed or chia seeds as needed for soft BMS.

Source: The Wahls Protocol (2014), p. 283
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

SeanReynolds wrote: a specific antibiotic protocol to eliminate CPn (Clostridium Perfrigens)
Hi SeanReynolds,

As CPn could be a cause of MS, Can you pls eloborate?

I mean:

-If you're sure you have a CPn issue => what kind of test you went through?
-If no proof of contamination by CPn =>How did you get a prescription from your MD/Neuro for specific CPn antibiotics?
-Can you pls provide more details about this antibiotic protocol?

Thank You
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Oops

CPn means Chlamydia Pneumoniae.
My bad...

Here is an interesting link: https://tinyurl.com/5dyaw9 (Cpn~Help)