Terrified

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Kmarquez

Terrified

Post by Kmarquez »

Hi. My nane is kristin and im 43 years old.I have had symptoms of this disease for 4 years. Finally a neurologist is more than concerned. Trigeminal neuralgia .. optic neuritis about 2 years apart. I now have horrific pain in my head. Electric. . Shooting.. stabbing.. since January. Abd now severe weakness in my right side. Walking is impaired. At times words slurr and i struggle getting them out.my neurologist did many tests in office and told me i have so many obvious signs but needs more tests before he can treat me. I go in 3 days for 2 mri's and spinal puncture. I saw my aunts life be taken by this dibilitating disease. I know i have it . I feel different then ive ever felt. I have energy some days.. other days i cant move.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Terrified

Post by lyndacarol »

Kmarquez wrote:Hi. My nane is kristin and im 43 years old.I have had symptoms of this disease for 4 years. Finally a neurologist is more than concerned. Trigeminal neuralgia .. optic neuritis about 2 years apart. I now have horrific pain in my head. Electric. . Shooting.. stabbing.. since January. Abd now severe weakness in my right side. Walking is impaired. At times words slurr and i struggle getting them out.my neurologist did many tests in office and told me i have so many obvious signs but needs more tests before he can treat me. I go in 3 days for 2 mri's and spinal puncture. I saw my aunts life be taken by this dibilitating disease. I know i have it . I feel different then ive ever felt. I have energy some days.. other days i cant move.
Welcome to ThisIsMS, kristin (Kmarquez).

Your symptoms are consistent with many conditions. One possibility is any one of several nutrient deficiencies. A vitamin D deficiency can be involved in every one of your symptoms. Also, B-12 deficiency can also cause neurological symptoms.

If you have not been tested for vitamin D deficient, ask your neurologist (or even your GP) to order the "25-hydroxy D" blood test for you. Be sure to ask for your own copy of the test results – it is important to have the actual numbers. If you have these, would you share them with us? In January, I was tested and found to have a low level (24 ng/mL).
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

It's scary, but by no means a death sentence. I am also 43, was diagnosed at 29, and am still living a full life. Copaxone is my favorite DMD, but diet plays a bigger role than any pharmaceutical in controlling long term prognosis.

Read the research of Dr Roy Swank (http://www.swankmsdiet.org/) and Dr Jelinek (https://overcomingms.org/recovery-program/diet/)
thisiswater
Family Member

Post by thisiswater »

Hi Kristin -- I was so sorry to read your post. Your symptoms sound scary and waiting for a MS (or any other!) diagnosis is so stressful. You doctor sounds like he is being very thorough and that's a good thing. The lumbar puncture was something I was really scared of, but it was really not bad at all! They will numb you around the area really well. One thing I will advise: try to get the test results as soon as you can. My health care system has online access to test results, so in a couple of cases I knew results before my doctor did! If you don't have that kind of system, just call the office daily and politely ask about results.

If you have MS, your doctor's office should work very quickly to offer you a treatment plan that includes medication and in your case, maybe physical therapy. Then you will start learning about other approaches to managing your disease, whatever it is. I did a lot of online research and pretty soon I had my own MS regimen in place. I don't adhere to it perfectly, but I feel a sense of control having it there.

Please post again as soon as you can! In the meantime, do what relaxes you, and try to manage your symptoms in ways your doctor and others on these and other MS boards can help you with.

Return to “General Discussion”