Tecfidera ....and Gas

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
QTKT

Tecfidera ....and Gas

Post by QTKT »

Hi,

I have been taking Tecfidera for almost 3 weeks now. I do not experience any symptoms (thank God) besides horrible flatulence and gas. There is no constipation or abdominal pain, just the gas. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to reduce the gas? I do not eat dairy, meat, or processed foods btw. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Tecfidera ....and Gas

Post by NHE »

QTKT wrote:I have been taking Tecfidera for almost 3 weeks now. I do not experience any symptoms (thank God) besides horrible flatulence and gas. There is no constipation or abdominal pain, just the gas. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to reduce the gas? I do not eat dairy, meat, or processed foods btw. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome to ThisIsMS. I don't have any personal experience with Tecfidera, but I was wondering what you've tried using to help? Have you ever tried anything like GasX?
RedneckMBA
Family Member

Post by RedneckMBA »

I have the same problem with gas too. Been taking the stuff since February. Tecfidera farts are the foulest, rottenest things I have smelled.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

In simple terms, you can only have excess wind inside you two ways; you swallowed it or you made it. If you made it (most likely) then I would look at a good probiotic at least every day. If your bowel movements are not quite regular and comfortable then raise that with your doctor. A bad smell is not a sign of things being normal. Try eating a fresh pear with your breakfast each day. It will get you moving and hopefully help as the probiotic changes your bowel culture

I tried Tecfidera for a short time but it didn't agree with me at all.

Regards,
QTKT

Post by QTKT »

NHE wrote:
QTKT wrote:I have been taking Tecfidera for almost 3 weeks now. I do not experience any symptoms (thank God) besides horrible flatulence and gas. There is no constipation or abdominal pain, just the gas. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to reduce the gas? I do not eat dairy, meat, or processed foods btw. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Welcome to ThisIsMS. I don't have any personal experience with Tecfidera, but I was wondering what you've tried using to help? Have you ever tried anything like GasX?
I haven't tried anything like yet, but I've heard some people use GasX or Pepto Bismol. I was looking for some more "natural" ways first, like regimen or certain foods, so I switched up my routine a bit and have tried to see when it starts, etc. But I probably will be trying one of those soon. Thanks!