work place accomodation

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jerrygallow
Family Elder

work place accomodation

Post by jerrygallow »

Hi all, I have been out of the work force for a while. I am giving a shot at trying to get back in and am applying for a position I am doing the dance of trying to down play things, yet having to explain an experience gap. The position is an office job, but the description requires a drivers license. I have spoken with people who have the job, and they say they never have to drive. I have vision loss because of optic neuritis. How do I play that? do I just not mention it, and if given an offer, show a state ID instead of a license for ID. Clearly this policy exists just to weed out people like me. Not sure how to play it, how to explain it. Do I be vague on the cover letter and mention "health problems", which could include scare psych stuff, or do I get more specific and risk TMI. thanks
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: work place accomodation

Post by jimmylegs »

perhaps see what you can find in local policy for your area, and see what the entities generating any policies similar to the below have to say about it

http://www.ohrc.on.ca/sites/default/fil ... oyment.pdf
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

Hey Jerry

This is a tough situation. If you are able to conceal your diagnosis and slip through the process by showing a state ID, this might be your best bet, but a lot of places would ask you to show a driver's licence even if driving were not a requirement. The problem is that you really don't have any protection until you actually get the job from a legal standpoint. You might want to try to find out one way or another whether on not they actually will require you to show a driver's license. If they do, your best bet is probably just to explain your situation to the prospective employer and hope for the best.

let us know how it turns out. best of luck
aetex
Family Member

Post by aetex »

I think you can keep the conversation limited to "I don't drive." The reason behind it is really none of their business. If pressured, you can say that you have vision problems and you feel safer having family drive so you gave up your license. This does not need to be a discussion about your medical history. If the job actually requires driving, then you will not be eligible, if it does not, then they can reasonably waive the arbitrary requirement of a license as long as your vision will not interfere with the job tasks.
Good luck!!