Repurposing old drugs that promote myelin repair

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Repurposing old drugs that promote myelin repair

Post by ElliotB »

I learned something interesting about Myelin repair a few months ago. I have battled borderline high cholesterol all my adult life. I have finally found an effective non-statin medication that has finally lowered my cholesterol into the 'normal' range only to discover that cholesterol is needed and critical for Myelin repair. Since my cholesterol was only borderline high, it was and still is a difficult decision to take this drug. On top of that, I have read from numerous sources that there is no correlation between high cholorestol and heart issues which is what is the 'common' belief. As advanced medicine is today, doctor's and researchers truly know so little about many critical things regarding the human body and health at this time! Obviously more research is needed. Here is an interesting link about cholesterol and myelin repair:

https://www.technologynetworks.com/neur ... ion-355490
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

That's true, I personally have the last 8-9 years around 240-250 cholesterol (upper limit 200) and I take daily 1gr EPA+DHA, Serapeptase, Sytrinol and every other month probiotics.
Although my cholesterol is high due to hereditary, my atherogenic index is around the middle of the scale and I have no problems so far, I know that cholesterol is only good for our health if it's the HDL one contrary to common belief.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Hi Elliot,
Thanks for the link to the article.
ElliotB wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:19 amOn top of that, I have read from numerous sources that there is no correlation between high cholorestol and heart issues which is what is the 'common' belief.
This ‘belief’ (and others too) has been perpetrated by the pharmaceutical companies wishing to sell more statin drugs. See...

Selling Sickness by Ray Moynihan and Alan Cassels.
link to review

Overdosed America: The Broken Promise of American Medicine by Dr. John Abramson. link to author's website

Sugar is a contributor to heart disease. See...

Sugar: The Bitter Truth
by Robert Lustig
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Hydrogenated fats, also known as trans fats, contribute to heart disease as well. The promotion of hydrogenated fats as ‘heart healthy’ was again done for profit. At least one hospital in my area even has them on their menu dedicated for cardiac patients. Old lies die hard.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

So many false 'myths' about cholesterol. My GP and cardiologist have been after me for years to get it down. I tried statins and had excruciating pain. I am now hesitantly taking Repatha, a non-statin injectable which has quickly lowered my cholesterol, but I really need myelin repair! What a dilemma!! I don't know what the right thing to do is frankly.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

ElliotB wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:08 pm So many false 'myths' about cholesterol. My GP and cardiologist have been after me for years to get it down. I tried statins and had excruciating pain. I am now hesitantly taking Repatha, a non-statin injectable which has quickly lowered my cholesterol, but I really need myelin repair! What a dilemma!! I don't know what the right thing to do is frankly.
Why not try to improve your atherogenic index and lower your bad cholesterol instead of total cholesterol?
That's the way for a better health imho.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Hi Elliot,
Have you had an NMR LDL particle size analysis done? It’s the small particle LDL that’s more atherogenic than the large particle LDL. The NMR test may give you a better picture of your cardiovascular risk. Here’s a sample report from LabCorp.

https://www.labcorp.com/tests/related-documents/L15035