Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
frodo
Family Elder

Inosine as antioxidant in MS

Post by frodo »

Inosine in Neurodegenerative Diseases: From the Bench to the Bedside

https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/27/14/4644/htm

Abstract

Neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer′s disease (AD), Parkinson’s disease (PD), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), and multiple sclerosis (MS), currently represent major unmet medical needs. Therefore, novel therapeutic strategies are needed in order to improve patients’ quality of life and prognosis.

Since oxidative stress can be strongly involved in neurodegenerative diseases, the potential use of inosine, known for its antioxidant properties, in this context deserves particular attention. The protective action of inosine treatment could be mediated by its metabolite urate.

Here, we review the current preclinical and clinical studies investigating the use of inosine in AD, PD, ALS, and MS. The most important properties of inosine seem to be its antioxidant action and its ability to raise urate levels and to increase energetic resources by improving ATP availability. Inosine appears to be generally safe and well tolerated; however, the possible formation of kidney stones should be monitored, and data on its effectiveness should be further explored since, so far, they have been controversial.

Overall, inosine could be a promising potential strategy in the management of neurodegenerative diseases, and additional studies are needed in order to further investigate its safety and efficacy and its use as a complementary therapy along with other approved drugs.
DIM
Family Elder

Re: Inosine as antioxidant in MS

Post by DIM »

Peroxynitrite formation within the central nervous system in active multiple sclerosis:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2898000782
Inosine is a powerful Peroxynitrite scavenger by increasing Uric Acid levels!

Free full text.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Inosine as antioxidant in MS

Post by jimmylegs »

personally, i never did end up tracking down or using inosine, but i definitely was interested in optimizing uric acid.
in my case (having been zinc deficient for so long, finally realizing it, and finally making the zinc-UA connection), all i needed to do was put the zinc back in the mix.
the zinc let my defunct krebs uric acid cycle start working again, and as my zinc levels rose, i just watched my uric acid levels come along for the ride. my UA went from a determined, long-standing and MS-typical level (160, I think it was) to almost 280. (if memory serves, those units were umol/l).
a very rewarding experience!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.