Antidepressants

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Jaded
Family Elder

Antidepressants

Post by Jaded »

Hi

I have had lot of issues recently and met up with one of my best buddies a couple of months ago. I hadn't seen her in 5 years as she's in Oz and covid......she asked whether I was on antidepressants.

When you trust someone's eyes so much it makes you reflect - so I eventually looked into antidepressants for pwMS. And read that some studies showed a neuroprotective effect. I've added some links here.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/ ... epression/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8173210/

https://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/doi/ ... h.18070164

I spoke to my GP who prescribed Prozac - one of the ones I remembered from the article. My issue is that I just read the side effects and it seems a high risk/return trade off. What are your thoughts - has anyone taken any of these and found it helped improve their MS issues?

Thanks so much for reading
J
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Antidepressants

Post by NHE »

Hi Jaded,
I recently tried trazodone for help with sleeping (it’s an antidepressant). However, I stopped taking it after just one dose as I didn’t like the way it made my body feel. I’m going to add GABA to my melatonin instead.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,
When I was in hospital, I was given something in 2014. Apparently an old antidepressant from years ago, at a low dose, as a muscle reactant. The immediate effect was hallucinations, terrible dreams and disorientation. I refused to take a second tablet. The nurse then quizzed me.
The nurse asked me a string of harmless questions which I answered correctly. Then she said "one more thing, what year is it?"
I confidently said "1957". Then said "hang on, no it isn't. What comes after 1957? Are we still in the 1900's?
She looked at me and said " You don't have to take this anymore."
The other thing I hated was I knew I was stiff but I didn't care. I immediately thought "how can I recover if I don't care?"
The issue will be why do you need an antidepressant. If it's to relax your muscles then my experience wasn't great.
I don't take any.
Regards,
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Thanks gents

Well I have taken the first one. I'm taking them because I am depressed. I have tried so many other ways to change my life so that I can feel better about it, but those changes failed to happen. I was a naturally cheerful person but that has changed.

I am still working on my mobility.

I have spent tons on counselling but it's a moving target as I am sure needs no explanation.

I probably do need something for spasticity. I asked my MS physio a couple of months ago and she didn't think I had high tone and I am at a loss to understand how they measure this because I have felt tight for years. It certainly contributes to the mobility difficulties.

I shall let you know how I get on. I am hoping that being less stressed might help put the brakes on deterioration.

J
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi Jaded,

In my experience, a physio is the last person I would believe when it comes to a diagnosis of muscle tightness. They might have an academic qualification but I'm yet to meet one who has a clue about useful massage. They love exercises that are not relevant to an MS patient and just aren't 'hands on' so lack practical skills. A myotherapist or even a good remedial masseur is much more likely to give a correct assessment of muscle tightness. You will feel them working your muscles, whereas a physio is up in the clouds. In my experience, Physios just jabber on while someone else does the work. They are good, if trained, with Botox injections.
Sometimes, I have to see them but I disregard their opinions.
It is very depressing to be told the opinion of someone like that when you want to have a conversation about what you are really experiencing.
I found a really good remedial masseur and my endless question to her was 'what's the name of that muscle" when she hit somewhere tight. Gradually I learned the names of relevant muscles so now I can bounce physios when they are too vague. To gain an sense of empowerment, by knowing the name of the muscle, does help your mood. Otherwise, you feel trapped in the bureaucracy of medicine.
Regards,
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Thanks Scott

The last local physio I saw said I knew more than his final year students - so like you I have gained much knowledge over the years.

I don't have massages very often - there is nothing as sophisticated as a remedial masseur nearby and I've not heard of a myotherapist. Maybe it's because I live in the poorer suburbs. I googled and myotherapy sounds great but seems to be an Aussie thing. Way ahead of us here, and a reminder that I need to get a massage. Thanks. I shall avoid the Thai lady who stands on me - great massage but have too many injuries now.

Thank you

J
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi Jaded,

Myotherapists are everywhere. Often they work in a physio's office but they are often looked down on by the physio's. When I was in London in 2019, I found one in Westminster who worked on me for an hour and a half. The next day, I climbed to the top of St.Pauls. Couldn't done it without the previous days work. A half way house is someone who understands dry needling but has either physio or myotherapy qualifications. Don't go to some shonk in the burbs who pretends to know anatomy. You don't want a fool needling you.

Regards,
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Ha thanks Scott

I did wonder how you managed that.

Seems I have covid now - but will ensure I look up myotherapists again.

I thought I had a bad reaction to the fluoxatine - must have been covid. Could barely walk, was dizzy and couldn't eat. Feeling a little better today although I think I need another nap.

I am vaccinated obviously, but it was probably too many people in the swimming pool after my first swim in over a year. Might not revisit that.

J
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

Hi @Jaded
I haven't had anything worth contributing re antidepressants, but I am very interested to see today's post about covid.
a week ago, my mother got home from 2 wks in the uk, including two solid days on crowded trains in and around london.
she had a week of unprecedented 'jet lag' when she got home, including stiff leg muscles, unsteadiness on her feet, no appetite, and needing lots more naps than usual even after air travel.
we did speculate about covid - have you had a positive test result? or is it more down to the timing after the pool visit?
fwiw, it was a tough week, but she's feeling better now. if it's actually the same thing or similar, i hope you'll also feel better in another day or two.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Thanks JL
Glad your mum is feeling better. I always wear masks on public transport but not in a public swimming pool :(

It was a positive test result - did a lateral flow test but it all made sense. It's the first time I caught covid so am hoping it's a mild one at this end of the pandemic.

Return to “General Discussion”