Oxygen treatment

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Petr75
Family Elder

Oxygen treatment

Post by Petr75 »

2022 Dec 15
Department of Neuroinflammation, UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology, London, United Kingdom
Oxygen treatment reduces neurological deficits and demyelination in two animal models of multiple sclerosis
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36520661/

Abstract

Aims: To explore the importance of tissue hypoxia in causing neurological deficits and demyelination in the inflamed CNS, and the value of inspiratory oxygen treatment, using both active and passive experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE).

Methods: Normobaric oxygen treatment was administered to Dark Agouti rats with either active or passive EAE, compared with room air-treated, and naïve, controls.

Results: Severe neurological deficits in active EAE were significantly improved after just 1 hour of breathing ~95% oxygen. The improvement was greater and more persistent when oxygen was applied either prophylactically (from immunization for 23 days), or therapeutically from the onset of neurological deficits for 24, 48, or 72 hours. Therapeutic oxygen for 72 hours significantly reduced demyelination and the integrated stress response in oligodendrocytes at the peak of disease, and protected from oligodendrocyte loss, without evidence of increased oxidative damage. T-cell infiltration and cytokine expression in the spinal cord remained similar to that in untreated animals. The severe neurological deficit of animals with passive EAE occurred in conjunction with spinal hypoxia and was significantly reduced by oxygen treatment initiated before their onset.

Conclusions: Severe neurological deficits in both active and passive EAE can be caused by hypoxia and reduced by oxygen treatment. Oxygen treatment also reduces demyelination in active EAE, despite the autoimmune origin of the disease.
https://www.eboro.cz
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Oxygen treatment

Post by ElliotB »

Hyperbaric treatment was thought to help years ago - many people with MS claim that hyperbaric oxygen therapy has benefits. At one time a few years ago, I did non-hyperbaric oxygen treatment, daily for about two years. I had no benefit whatsoever. Many people with MS make all kinds of claims about different therapies. I am willing to try any treatment option that is not dangerous
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

At this point I am willing to try anything even if it might be dangerous. Cure me or kill me.
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

EliiotB, can I ask, what is non-hyperbaric oxygen therapy?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I used an oxygen concentrator for several hours a day for a couple of years, breathing nearly 100% pure oxygen.

FWIW, hyperbaric treatment has been around for decades. It is nothing new. My father tried it about 50 years ago, without any improvement. Ultimately, it does not seem to help. But it is worth trying anything that will not harm you because you never know...

But IMHO it is simply another dead end. There are other better options.
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Ok thanks ElliotB

I think it must help some people- MS centres in the UK offer it as a type of therapy. I did check it out briefly but saw that the possible downsides included damage to the middle ear and eyesight issues. I am sure the centres that offer it must have a good risk-assessment.