Why not clemastine fumarate?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
CAGirl
Getting to Know You...

Why not clemastine fumarate?

Post by CAGirl »

I did a search on ThisIsMS for any previous discussion on this but there hasn't been much ( a single thread in 2013). UCSF is a actively/continuing trials on this OTC drug. Is anyone trying it? Any reason why I would NOT try it? The drug has been around forever. I suspect that it will be hard to get beyond phase2 because it's super cheap / generic. I'd love thoughts on this...
DIM
Family Elder

Re: Why not clemastine fumarate?

Post by DIM »

A friend of me use it along with Metformin one year now, not something special, intermitted fasting has exactly the same results. But zero side effects if you monitor your glucose levels, just more sleep during the day.
CAGirl
Getting to Know You...

Post by CAGirl »

Thanks curious what "exactly the same results" would be? Did your friend try both or...were your friends results about the same as reported by those trying fasting. And what were the results? The lead researcher is kind of a rock star at UCSF so , I was intrigued by why he would be following this up (I used to be UCSF patient and got a random mailing mentioning the research). Also I'd not too much trouble....is metformin combined simply to control glucose level/side effects or is there a combination of actions. Thanks. Weirdly I just recently found out that some of my friends are taking metformin as general health/life-extension kind of thing...
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

CAGirl wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:22 amAlso I'd not too much trouble....is metformin combined simply to control glucose level/side effects or is there a combination of actions. Thanks. Weirdly I just recently found out that some of my friends are taking metformin as general health/life-extension kind of thing...
Metformin can cause a vitamin B12 deficiency. If you're taking metformin, then it would be good to supplement with B12. A deficiency in B12 can cause demyelination of the spinal cord known as subacute combined degeneration. A B12 deficiency also allows the amino acid homocysteine to accumulate. A high level of homocysteine is cardiotoxic and can also cause brain lesions in white matter seen on MRI.

Metformin & B12 Deficiency
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/719043

B12 Discussion
viewtopic.php?t=24857
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

He reported very very slight improvement with both Clemastine+Metformin and Fasting, he tried each one method for about a year.
Animal studies have found metformin enhances the myelin repair abilities of Clemastine, I didn't know Metformin causes B12 deficiency, thanks NHE!