Symptoms at 18 years old

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
stefanialopardo

Symptoms at 18 years old

Post by stefanialopardo »

Hi everyone,
I am an 18 yo girl and have been told that my frequent urination since I was a child and numbness in my thighs since quite a few months ago should be checked for MS. I have asked my parents to help me get an appointment with a neurologist which I will visit soon. Does this sound familiar to anyone. I am planning to go to college in September away from home. Is this a bad idea? Thanks for helping
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Symptoms at 18 years old

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,
While I can't say your experience is similar to mine, I do think getting an expert opinion from a neurologist is a good idea. You may need to see a urologist as well.
September is still a few months away, so I would get an neurologists opinion and then consider the steps after that. Not every problem turns out to be MS but you do seem to have a problem that should be addressed.

Regards
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Welcome to ThisIsMS,
stefanialopardo wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:35 am I am an 18 yo girl and have been told that my frequent urination since I was a child and numbness in my thighs since quite a few months ago should be checked for MS. I have asked my parents to help me get an appointment with a neurologist which I will visit soon. Does this sound familiar to anyone.
While seeing a neurologist may be a viable idea. It wouldn’t be my first recommendation. Your symptoms may be similar to those experienced by people with MS. However, they are not specific to MS. They could be caused by many other conditions. I would recommend starting with a good general practitioner and then seeing a urologist. I would exhaust other possibilities before investigating MS.
stefanialopardo wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:35 amI am planning to go to college in September away from home. Is this a bad idea? Thanks for helping
I would NOT change your plans for college based on your current symptoms.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"Told" by who?

I assume at some point in the past, you have seen a doctor about your urination issue. Millions have this (OAB - overactive bladder). Could it be MS? Perhaps, but it could be one of a number of things. What was your doctor's thought on the issue and what tests have you done?
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

Even though I am diagnosed with MS, Dr. Google can still trick me and make me feel terrible. Trust real doctors.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!