Review: Supplements, diet & lifestyle changes to improve cognitive function

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Review: Supplements, diet & lifestyle changes to improve cognitive function

Post by NHE »

A free review from ConsumerLab.com...

Do any supplements, foods or lifestyle modifications help with brain function, like memory and cognition?

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/do- ... or-memory/

There is preliminary evidence that certain supplements modestly improve various aspects of memory or cognition. These benefits include boosting memory in people who do not have memory problems as well as improving memory or cognition in people with age-related cognitive decline, Alzheimer’s disease, and other forms of dementia.

In addition, certain foods, diets, and lifestyle changes have been associated with improvements in cognition or a decreased risk of dementia.

See the information below, which includes links to more details about each supplement, including clinical evidence, dosage, and ConsumerLab's tests, reviews, and Top Picks for each type of supplement.

[Continued]
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Review: Supplements, diet & lifestyle changes to improve cognitive function

Post by ElliotB »

From my own experience, going on a gluten free diet had a noticeable improvement in my memory, more so than any supplements or any other protocol I have tried. I started a GF diet almost 10 years ago. Within just a few months, my memory improved significantly. I always have a terrible memory, going back as far as elementary school. For this reason alone, I made the decision to remain on a GF diet. My memory has been excellent and is still excellent 10 years later. I am 100% certain it is due to being gluten free. While most people can tolerate gluten, I believe that human bodies, especially the brain, can be affected in negative ways when gluten is consumed. There is plenty of research that supports this hypothesis.

Also, the elimination of sugar in the diet is so important to overall health and brain function as well, regardless of the source of the sugar. For example, most modern fruits are loaded with sugar with the exception of most berries such as blueberries, raspberries and other similar berries. Honey and agave are also thought to be 'healthy' but in reality, are not. Sugar is sugar and in general should be avoided. Sugar can also be hidden in many foods thought to be low in sugar, such as breads and potatoes, including sweet potatoes. Interestingly, raw potatoes are very low in sugar yet once cooked, they actually have high levels of sugar. The starch converts to sugar during cooking. Another interesting fact is that the sugar content of breads and potatoes can be reduced dramatically if they are frozen before consuming them and/or cooking them.