At a cross roads and need advice/opinions.

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
RedneckMBA
Family Member

At a cross roads and need advice/opinions.

Post by RedneckMBA »

I’m a snow bird in the US. I have two neurologists; one up north and one down south. The southern neurologist wants to ship me to a clinic in Houston this fall to get one of the newer medications. The northern neurologist wants me to go to zero medication due to my age. What’s a guy to do???

I’m 66. First diagnosed for my 59th birthday. For 12 months leading up to dx, I saw my doctor for some symptoms. Then we figured it out, got MRIs showing two lesions in brain and one in spine Off to the neurologist. Official dx after spinal tap.

I have been on Dimethyl fumerate ever since. We “caught it early” per my doctor. I have tingling in my feet, fatigue, heat sensitivity, and reduced balance. But I do not have any disability. My cognition is probably average for an aging Boomer. I still can and do fell trees, cut them up, and split logs for firewood for up north. I also walk the dog three miles most days.

In the time since I have been diagnosed, I have had only one relapse caused by a very stressful event. The prednisolone, a gram a day for three days, pulled me right out of relapse. No new symptoms. Old symptoms, at most, very slightly worse if at all.

The fatigue is my biggest quality of life issue. I used Modafinil for a few years. It helps, but it causes other issues. So I quit it a few months ago. I keep it available if I need it.

Both doctors are in their late 50’s and have lots of experience with MS. Northern doctor says my immune system should be slowing down. But I still have a touch of eczema and osteoarthritis.

What’s a guy to do? Sometimes I thing I should compromise a just take one dimethyl fumarate a day. 🤠
Zyklon
Family Elder

Re: At a cross roads and need advice/opinions.

Post by Zyklon »

Hello,

Northern doc is right. You will experience fewer relapses. However, brain atrophy will increase. It must be your primary concern. As I know dimethyl fumarate is not very effective against brain atrophy. Ask your docs for your brain atrophy status. Maybe they change your medicine. Ask them if Aubagio suits your condition which is good for brain atrophy.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Has either neurologist done a recent MRI? Did it show any signs of progression?

Regards,
RedneckMBA
Family Member

Post by RedneckMBA »

MRI was stable for years. During relapse, a very small new lesion formed. Stable since.

Might be a good idea to get an MRI just before making a change?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I think so. Always work from evidence. Opinions are cheap and plentiful.

Regards,
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

Scott1 is extremely correct. Take action with evidence from your MRI comparisons. If I were you, I would get a new MRI and ask my doctor for a comparison with the years-old MRI. Lesions are one side of the story. At your age damage mechanism of MS greatly moves toward brain atrophy rather than new lesions. Focus on brain volume. If it shows accelerated volume loss which is common with MS, ask for another DMT.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!