Vital Nutrients for Nerve Repair & Neuropathy

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Vital Nutrients for Nerve Repair & Neuropathy

Post by ElliotB »

I have seen many videos on YouTube from this group of nerve doctors. All their videos are always loaded with valuable information and are nicely presented. This video is very informative and highlights supplements worth taking if you have nerve pain and/or need nerve repair which probably applies to most on this site:

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Vital Nutrients for Nerve Repair & Neuropathy

Post by NHE »

Thanks for posting. Here are some of my thoughts on the video.

Regarding R-Lipoic acid, it’s been known since the 1950’s that R-Lipoic acid easily polymerizes and is poorly absorbed reducing its efficacy.

https://tinyurl.com/lipoic-acid-polymers

A better form is Na-R-Lipoate which is the sodium salt of R-Lipoic acid. It’s sold as stabilized lipoic acid. It won’t form polymers and it’s better absorbed.

Here’s the Na-R-Lipoate I take.

Regarding B12, there are actually 4 forms. In addition to the 2 forms mentioned in the video, cyanocobalamin and methylcobalamin, there’s also adenosylcobalamin and hydroxocobalamin. Note that adenosylcobalamin and methylcobalamin are the 2 forms that are naturally found in the body. Hydroxocobalamin is a form that can be easily modified into both of the above natural forms. Superior Source makes a sublingual tablet with both adenosyl and methylcobalamin forms which I’ve used in the past. I now take a sublingual tablet with methylcobalamin, metylfolate and P5P B6 called Activated B12. This contains the recommended forms of B12, B6 & B9.

Regarding vitamin B1, I took benfotiamine for a few months. First at 450 mg/day and then at 600 mg/day. I didn't find it helpful for the neuropathy in my feet. Your mileage may vary.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I have been taking all the supplements they recommend for several years based on other recommendations I had read previously. Nerve repair takes years and years to take place if it happens at all. Are they helping me? I don't really know.

I take a lot of supplements (probably 200 different supplements over the course of a month) and I cannot say with any certainty that any one specific supplement is helping me. Unlike pharmaceutical medications, supplements seem to work slowly over time, if they work at all. Yet overall, I am doing very well, improving slowly over the years, BUT improving none-the-less. So, I am not willing to stop any of them.

I also take benfotiamine and have been for years. In my opinion, taking any supplement for a short period of time is insufficient to notice any benefits from it.

This is the B-12 I take (I have been taking it for a couple of years) (Contains 3 BioActive B12 Forms Plus Methylfolate Cofactor - Methyl B12, Adenosyl B12 & Hydroxy B12), total 5000 micrograms per capsule and is reasonably priced at $18.69 with subscribe and save for the dosage, formulation and quantity of capsules in the bottle:

BioActive Vitamin B12 - 5000 mcg, Contains 3 BioActive B12 Forms Plus Methylfolate Cofactor - Methyl B12, Adenosyl B12 & Hydroxy B12 | Supports Energy, Metabolism & Mood | Vegan, Non-GMO (60 Servings)

https://www.amazon.com/BioActive-Vitam ... 141&sr=1-4
Last edited by ElliotB on Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:31 am, edited 9 times in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Hi Elliot,
ElliotB wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:45 am This is the B-12 I take (I have been taking it for a couple of years) (Contains 3 BioActive B12 Forms Plus Methylfolate Cofactor - Methyl B12, Adenosyl B12 & Hydroxy B12), total 5000 micrograms per capsule and is reasonably priced at $18.69 with subscribe and save for the dosage, formulation and quantity of capsules in the bottle:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=BioActive+Vi ... _sb_noss_1
I’m not seeing the B12 you describe in your search results. Can you post a link to a specific B12?

By the way, when I was B12 and folate deficient I could feel the effects of my B12 supplement in minutes. It was like the sun burning off the fog in my brain. Perhaps I should have given the benfotiamine a longer trial.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Last edited by ElliotB on Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:14 pm I cannot get the link to post, but if you do a search for BioActive Vitamin B12 - 5000 mcg, it should show up immediately.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had no problems finding it. I wasn’t familiar with the Triquetra Health brand. Here’s a link.

https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Vitamin- ... 08DP545FG/

Note, you may wish to read this post in the Forums FAQ for getting certain links to work.

What’s interesting is that the label says methylfolate yet they’ve posted a molecular diagram of folic acid. The correct molecular structure was not hard to find. Here it is...

ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I take the capsules:

https://www.amazon.com/BioActive-Vitam ... 09XFTYMRM/

(thanks for the info on how to post a link properly.)
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Hopefully that error you found in the artwork, is just that, an error in the artwork and not incorrect formulation of the supplement.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Source Naturals Coenzymated B-complex has the most bioavailable forms of all B vitamins in one cap!
There is another topic about benfotiamine where you can read clinical trials that mention clearly it isn't the best B1 form, I usually order Dr Berg natural allithiamine:
https://shop.drberg.com/product/natural-vitamin-b1-plus
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

@DIM

Unfortunately, as is typical in 'complex' type supplements, there are only very, very, very small amounts of each component. I prefer to order each one separately in the strength I desire. And I have purchased different supplements from Source Natural and was very pleased with all of them.

And while this supplement may have the right stuff in it, and I do take everything they have listed, in the amount of each one is quite small and makes it not worth my consideration:

Thiamin: 13mg
Niacina: 39mg
B6: 10mg
folate: 400 mcg
B-12 860 mcg
Biotin: 150mcg
CoQ10: 12 mg
inositgol: 7mg
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

DIM wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:07 am Source Naturals Coenzymated B-complex has the most bioavailable forms of all B vitamins in one cap!
Unfortunately, that Source Naturals product contains folic acid which is a synthetic substitute for folate that's not absorbed well and interferes with the absorption and processing of dietary folate. Here's a video from Dr. Ben Lynch with more information on folate.

DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

NHE wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:35 pm
DIM wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:07 am Source Naturals Coenzymated B-complex has the most bioavailable forms of all B vitamins in one cap!
Unfortunately, that Source Naturals product contains folic acid which is a synthetic substitute for folate that's not absorbed well and interferes with the absorption and processing of dietary folate. Here's a video from Dr. Ben Lynch with more information on folate.

You are right but the same applies to Benfotiamine and natural B1
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

This is the folate supplement I take, 1700mcg (the 'complex' only has 400mcg). As I mentioned, I prefer not to buy 'complex' supplements because they never have high amounts of the included ingredients, typically just small amounts that are often insufficient:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UD ... UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by ElliotB on Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Are these folk experts in MS? There is something in the way our bodies process these supps/foods. We can't assume what works for people without MS would work for us. If they were right then we'd be seeing much more remyelination.

Still it is interesting that the R lipoic acid I just paid a fortune for isn't well absorbed. Also I didn't know there were so many types of B12, having taken the methyl version since I learned it is better absorbed. This could explain a lot.

And as someone who takes lots of supps, it is exhausting. Taking them, policing my body, keeping up with the latest news on each supp (clearly lagging here). Par for the course I suppose.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Hi Jaded,
Jaded wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:33 pm Still it is interesting that the R lipoic acid I just paid a fortune for isn't well absorbed.
I would keep it refrigerated. Perhaps you can find a local supplier of Na-R-Lipoate once you've finished your current supply of R-Lipoic acid.