Association

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Petr75
Family Elder

Association

Post by Petr75 »

2023 Jun 28
Department of Neurosurgery, First Affiliated Hospital of Nanchang University, Nanchang, China
Association between chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency and multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37380203/

Abstract

Objectives: Numerous studies have indicated that chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency is a potential factor in causing multiple sclerosis in recent years, but this conclusion remains unconfirmed. This meta-analysis examined the correlation between multiple sclerosis and chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency.

Methods: We searched Embase and Medline (Ovid) for publications published from 1 January 2006 to 1 May 2022. The meta-analysis was performed following Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses guidelines.

Results: Eligible studies (n=20) included 3069 participants from seven countries. Pooled analysis indicated that chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency was more frequent in patients with multiple sclerosis than in healthy controls (OR 3.36; 95% CI 1.92 to 5.85; p<0.001) with remarkable heterogeneity among studies (I2=79%). Results were more strongly correlated in subsequent sensitivity analyses, but heterogeneity was also more substantial. We removed studies that initially proposed a chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency team as well as studies by authors involved in or advocating endovascular therapies.

Conclusions: Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency is significantly associated with multiple sclerosis and it is more prevalent in patients with multiple sclerosis than in healthy individuals, but considerable heterogeneity of results is still observed.

Free full text.

-----------------------------------------
CCSVI /Ostrava 2012
https://www.eboro.cz
vesta
Family Elder

Re: Association

Post by vesta »

"Conclusions: Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency is significantly associated with multiple sclerosis and it is more prevalent in patients with multiple sclerosis than in healthy individuals, but considerable heterogeneity of results is still observed."

I am happy to see that a serious paper linking CCSVI to MS has been published. Notice this study comes from China.
Chinese scientists are apparently free of the tyranical censorship by big pharma which plagues scientists in the West. The following quote comes from my site MScureenigmas.net

"When MS Neurologists derisively mocked Interventional Radiologists as "plumbers", they weren’t altogether wrong. The vascular pathology in MS can be more complicated than simply opening a « plugged » tube. A venologist in Southern California Dr. Owiesy has observed that when the middle layer of the vein composed of smooth muscles go into spasms, blood flow is obstructed. Again the problem resides “exterior” to the vein, not “interior”. The veins may be weak or somehow defective, but the mechanism which shuts off the blood flow isn’t “intima”. This corresponds completely to my experience. The treatment? Dr. Owiesy administers a mixture of dexamethasone/lidocaine/thiamine in the area around the Internal Jugular Vein in order to relax and open it. Apparently outcomes have been impressive, risks and expense minimal (though I’ve never tried it.)

However, one may not even need this medical drug solution. A non-inflammatory diet/supplements alone may prevent the release of molecules which lead to spasms and constricted veins. The role of C-Reactive Protein, Birth Control Pills, so much can be understood by looking at the veins, the endothelium and now the veins smooth muscle layer. Dr Owiesy’s observation that veins can « shut off » through stress for instance tends to cast in doubt the mechanistic approach of angioplasty. Anyway, the problem does not lend itself to an easy solution, and one size fits all clinical trials cannot provide a simple « answer ».

My interest here is two fold : 1) I intend to address the CCSVI MS question in its complexity and 2) I will address how recent events have illustrated the power of Big Money to « capture » medical science and regulatory agencies to the detriment of CCSVI MS patients such as myself. We need to take matters into our own hands, find the help we need and side step those who would do us harm."

Previously published on my site mscureenigmas.net
vesta
Family Elder

Re: Association

Post by vesta »

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”