The NERVGEN-291 miracle!

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
DIM
Family Elder

The NERVGEN-291 miracle!

Post by DIM »

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: The NERVGEN-291 miracle!

Post by NHE »

Here's a recent presentation from NervGen. If the clinical data is as good as their preclinical videos in the presentation, then this could be a game changer.

https://nervgen.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 01-web.pdf
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Hope so...
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Here's an interview with the two founders of NervGen and the CEO. They discuss the background science leading to the development of NVG-291, the design of the current phase 1b-2a trial and plans for a larger phase 2 trial.

Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

I think we have to remember that (if this works) we could possibly remyelinate damaged pathways. It doesn't imply that the causative agent is eliminated. That's a problem that still needs to be solved. If the causative agent turned out to be EBV, then you would still need to treat that.
Nonetheless, it's a possibly a big step forward.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

A list of NervGen's relevant publications.

https://nervgen.com/journals-publications/
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

This paper from 2018 focused on MS (EAE).

Modulation of proteoglycan receptor PTPσ enhances MMP-2 activity to promote recovery from multiple sclerosis
Nature Commun. 2018 Oct 8;9(1):4126.

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is characterized by focal CNS inflammation leading to the death of oligodendrocytes (OLs) with subsequent demyelination, neuronal degeneration, and severe functional deficits. Inhibitory chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans (CSPGs) are increased in the extracellular matrix in the vicinity of MS lesions and are thought to play a critical role in myelin regeneration failure. We here show that CSPGs curtail remyelination through binding with their cognate receptor, protein tyrosine phosphatase σ (PTPσ) on oligodendrocyte progenitor cells (OPCs). We report that inhibition of CSPG/PTPσ signaling by systemically deliverable Intracellular Sigma Peptide (ISP), promotes OPC migration, maturation, remyelination, and functional recovery in animal models of MS. Furthermore, we report a downstream molecular target of PTPσ modulation in OPCs involving upregulation of the protease MMP-2 that allows OPCs to enzymatically digest their way through CSPGs. In total, we demonstrate a critical role of PTPσ/CSPG interactions in OPC remyelination in MS.

Free full text
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

Very promising.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

NervGen Pharma on Track to Complete Enrollment, Deliver Data Readout in Phase 1b/2a Clinical Trial for NVG-291 in Spinal Cord Injury

https://www.newsfilecorp.com/release/19 ... ord-Injury

• On track to complete enrollment of the chronic cohort in Q2 2024

• Data readout from chronic cohort expected in Q3 2024

• Planning underway to make NVG-291 available to placebo-treated subjects following cohort completion
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Thanks for the article. I agree with the author that it's likely a good sign that NervGen will be offering NVG-291 to patients on the placebo arm in an open label extension. They probably wouldn't even consider it if NVG-291 turned out to be ineffective.

However, the following statement appears to contradict the available data. The author wrote...

"In recent weeks, the company’s share price has surged higher a couple of times in response to hints that NervGen’s ongoing proof-of-concept Phase 1b/2a clinical trial in humans may actually be working."

Almost two months ago the share price was $2.82 on Feb 7th. It's now $1.52 as of closing on Mar 26th. However, going back a little further it was $1.17 on Dec 12th. Thus, there has been an increase, but the shares have been coming back down for the last 4-5 weeks.

https://www.barrons.com/market-data/stocks/ngenf