Why Avoid DMDs

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Why Avoid DMDs

Post by ElliotB »

With regards to CCSVI which Dr. Zamboni years ago theorized was the cause of MS, yet he later retracted his claim. This fact is often overlooked and ignored for some reason.
Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard »

It's all polemic. CCSVI itself is not MS. But many years of venous obstruction will damage the BBB. And with that prepare the conditions for herpes viridae to anchor in the brain cells. The cells will react with antiviral measures. The electron transport chain of the mitochondria will be interrupted. ATP production comes to a halt. If this happens in your nervous cells controlling your limps, you get a relapse because cells lack the energy to pass on signals. ROS is generated in stead of ATP as a warning signal that triggers interferon production inside the cell. SNPs in the cell react to the interferon producing proteins that lock up the virus or break down the virus. When the viral assault is silenced, the electron transport chain starts working again, the cell resumes ATP production, and we see remission. This is CIS or RR-MS. Progressive MS starts later with re-engineered T cells failing to remove B cells. These T cells respond to high lasting pressure of herpes EBV. The high B cell concentration that results then works paraneoplastic and is a healthy correction mechanism for cancers that might grow otherwise. This is the common herpes viral etiology of chronic diseases in a nutshell.

And as regards Zamboni retracting his claim, he must have been under an awful lot of pressure. You should look him in the eyes and ask him about the role of CCSVI. I did. He believes CCSVI is a factor that may lead to MS. As I do. And as Zivadinov has clearly demonstrated. You can not change the facts.
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

"We have to leave the old world with all its trench battles, it won 't give us anything.
Politics must unleash the forces for change, and create the conditions so that medicine can reinvent itself."

Leonard: Whatever do you mean by the "old world" etc. You and Elliot have a rather negative view on self healing protocols which have proven effective, in my case certainly. So you want to wait until the government and or president comes up with a 'cure'. The finance guys aren't interested in finding a 'cure', as one hedge fund manager put it, curing a chronic disease is not "a good business model". People need to reflect on their own history and decide to help themselves.; I probably have a minor case because my venous obstructions are minor, or resolvable. Someone with a bone obstruction is in more serious trouble because freeing the obstruction may require outside intervention.

Best regards, Vesta
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

@ Leonard:

Why are you so sure that CCSVI is a factor that may lead to MS? Please be specific.

A famous and respected MD, PhD, associate professor of neurology came to the conclusion that CCSVI may be a result of MS, not a cause. He states that “Our results indicate that only 56.1 percent of MS patients ... had CCSVI."

He also stated this, that there may be “an association between the MS and CCSVI, association does not imply causality."

And went on to conclude "CCSVI does not have a primary role in causing MS,” and added “Our findings are consistent with increased prevalence of CCSVI in MS, but substantially lower than the sensitivity and specificity rates in MS reported originally by the Italian investigators.”

@ Vesta:

Your statement that I have a rather negative view on self-healing protocols couldn't be more wrong. Although I do take a DMD, the last 10+ years of my life have been dedicated to learning about and incorporating self-healing protocols into my own personal treatment plan. Obviously, you have not been reading many of my many past posts over the years where I have shared many of them. And that is OK, I know there have been a lot of them. But you should do some research before you make such a bold claim.

I found TIMS shortly after my diagnosis about 10 years ago and have shared many of the self-healing protocols that I follow over the years, my latest self help 'find' that I posted about is the Accelera device, which has helped me immensely.
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Greetings:

I myself have been a bit negative since I've avoided finding a kinesiologist in France even knowing how effective "muscle testing" can be, So I'll begin a search even though my options here in the provinces are limited.

My own esperiences favor the "blood reflux" blood flow CCSVI theory. A Shiatsu massage put an end to my first major attack. Later en route to the Chinese acupuncture Doctor I began to have serious symptems in my feet which had disapearred 2 hours later by the time I left his office. That meant the treatment opened the blood/fluid flow to halt the symptoms. Explain that with the auto immune idea. I've also found Chiropractor Dr Michael Flanagan's thread immensely informative, expanding the theory to include CSF fluid as well, and then we have info on lymphatic, glymphatic.
Dr George Ebers (see video above) proposed Vit D supplementation during pregnancy to prevent MS. Interesting that incidence of MS is least in November births, worst for May births (like me) which suggests mother/foetus enjoy maximum sun during the summer, least during the winter. Does this impact vascular development?
Sorry Elliot, I was referring to your 100% statement. I can't be too interested in the theory like Leonard, I'm in no position to do the research etc. My research is my own experience which was hugely enlarged by the CCSVI/CSF theory/practice (see Dr Sclafani and Dr Flanagan's threads.)
Best regards,
Vesta

PS/ I just looked on my site and found a detailed symptom diary I had given to the Allopaths in 1983 to try to find a solution to my myriad health problems. Might be of interest to Leonards research. Thanks
mscureenigmas.net
https://www.mscureenigmas.net
Chapter Six: The Allopaths 1983
Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard »

@ElliotB:

My left internal jugular vein (IJV) is bigger than my right IJV, a situation that must have developed during the fetal growth when the left was trying to compensate for the blockage in the lower neck on the right. I was born with a vascular narrowing in the neck. This was clearly a birth defect according to the vascular doctor who examined my case.

My family lived for generations in the shadow of the heavy metal industry which is a known cause for vascular insufficiencies. My grandfather died from a NasoPharyngual Carcinoma - an NPC - and may have had a similar vascular deficiency. He may have passed on the vascular deficiency. The prevalence of MS in the vicinity of the heavy metal industry is above average: anecdotal evidence suggests several cases of MS in each suburb in town in the shadow of the heavy metal industry vs a few cases in a whole town in other surroundings.

Dr. Zamboni diagnosed me with CCSVI. This was later confirmed in further examinations by other doctors. My right IJV was for 90% closed. The problem was a truncation in the lower neck (I have got photo’s, a textbook example), the birth defect.

The left IJV was almost closed as well (I could find out how much, I have still got the report somewhere). The problem there was a stenosis directly under the CNS. The stenosis may have developed in the course of my life and could indeed be consequential: as a reaction of the brain trying to balance out left and right side but I have never seen any suggestions or hints about any such mechanism. In any event, in the meanwhile both blockages have been opened and have remained open.

The right IJV insufficiency must have caused a break of the BBB due to many years of pulsation. And it may have caused iron depletion in the veins in the CNS. There are articles that explain this, also by neurologists investigating CCSVI. If you are interested, I could try to find the articles.

If the BBB breaks, the virus can enter the CNS. That includes herpes viridae that were reactivated in the nasopharynx which may enter the CNS via the Virchow Robin space. And these herpes viridae can then do their destructive work, individually or collectively. The mid aged citizen carries on average 4.5 herpes viral strains, EBV penetration is 98%.

In my case, the cause for reactivation from the nasopharynx were Hepatitis B vaccinations. I can prove that! For the French people that got MS a few years after the mass vaccination campaign for Hepatitis B in the 1990s, the causative link has been suggested earlier. This thinking lines-up with the thinking by AtaraBio.

MS as a disease and its symptoms are very revealing and instructive for what the herpes viridae can do and how it works, not only for MS, but for the class of chronic diseases in general. For sure, there will be demyelination but the remyelination will not be immediate and can not explain the remittance in CIS or RRMS.

The relapse and remission are explained by the lack of ATP energy or the resumed production thereof when the herpes viral assault is back under control of the cells. The underlying mechanism is the failure of the electron transport chain upon viral challenge. You then get to my theory for the cause of chronic diseases, including MS. You may find the theory here viewtopic.php?p=262981#p262981

As regards the results of Dr. Zivadinov, his raw data suggest an incidence of 90% of CCSVI in MS, and around 15% for healthy controls. These results have been watered down to 55% or whatever. However, the reasons why and how have remained very obscure and non-transparent. And certainly to me, it gives the smell of some wanting to throw the blanket to extinguish the fire.
Last edited by Leonard on Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Your case is likely unusual and not typical.

Not sure where you are getting your data from. In an article I read, Zivadinov makes the following claim:

“Our results indicate that only 56.1 percent of MS patients and 38.1 percent of patients with a condition known as clinically isolated syndrome (CIS), an individual’s first neurological episode, had CCSVI."

He went on to conclude the following:

“These findings indicate that CCSVI does not have a primary role in causing MS. ”

Watered down? Doubtful. In any case, if CCSVI was the root cause of MS, wouldn't everyone with MS have CCSVI?.
And I am sure you will agree that not everyone with MS has CCSVI.

The bottom line is that no one knows for sure at this time what the true cause of MS is. There are so many theories, and there are issues with all of them IMHO.

Wishing you good health.
Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard »

CCSVI itself does not cause MS directly but is certainly a factor that prepares the conditions for, breaks the BBB.
There will be other factors that may break, weaken or degrade the BBB.
This is why not everyone with MS has CCSVI.
MS is then caused by the herpes virus.

MS usually starts with RRMS or CIS.
Now, what causes the relapse, and more importantly, why do we see remission after a relatively short while?
If de/re-myelination can not explain the phenomenon, then what?

The most logical and probably only realistic explanation is that MS is caused by the reaction of cells to herpes viral assault.
Upon viral challenge, signaling proteins stop the electron transport chain of the mitochondria, the generation if ATP comes to a halt, ROS is generated as a warning signal, we see a relapse, interferon is produced as a reaction to ROS, SNPs react to the interferons and silence the virus, ATP production resumes, we see remission.

Periodic boosting of the virus sets on autoimmune disease. Which is not a real disease but a paraneoplastic syndrome, a combination of factors to prevent cancers from growing.
It's re-engineered T cells that fail to remove B cells.
It is a reaction to the effect of some herpes viridae that may cause chromosome breaks and ultimately cancers.
The manuscript and the addenda on pgs 63 and 64 of the other thread on this forum explain this further.
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

ElliotB wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:51 pm Your case is likely unusual and not typical.

Not sure where you are getting your data from. In an article I read, Zivadinov makes the following claim:

“Our results indicate that only 56.1 percent of MS patients and 38.1 percent of patients with a condition known as clinically isolated syndrome (CIS), an individual’s first neurological episode, had CCSVI."

He went on to conclude the following:

“These findings indicate that CCSVI does not have a primary role in causing MS. ”

Watered down? Doubtful. In any case, if CCSVI was the root cause of MS, wouldn't everyone with MS have CCSVI?.
And I am sure you will agree that not everyone with MS has CCSVI.

The bottom line is that no one knows for sure at this time what the true cause of MS is. There are so many theories, and there are issues with all of them IMHO.

Wishing you good health.
Greetings;

Dr Owiesy' work in opening the IJV chemically expands the CCSVI theory. When the veins go into spasm, various treatments can open them - massage, acupuncture pressure, even the gutteral OM of yoga. The venous weakness may not be visible on a scan of any kind (sorry Dr Zivadinov); I'll print below an article I wrote in 2017.

"Dr. Owiesy's Superior CCSVI Solution

This is a copy of the February 12, 2017 blog post which has generated enormous interest.

Just as I returned to work on my MSCureEnigmas blog after a 2 month “vacation”, the ThisisMS.com forum www.thisisms.com/ has provided me with the material to write this post. In particular Mark Miller of Los Angeles, AKA CureIous, paved the way by posting the following entry:

Re: Notes from CureIous at Stanford Feb 9, 2017

As mentioned here's a few shots of the posters that my Dr. presented at ISNVD 2016.

There are two, one for his original protocol that has been very successful in treating migraines, currently under submission for FDA approval, and his adaptation of that treatment in treating CCSVI, which has also shown success in the few patients treated. All at no cost to the patients, and using his own resources.
Nevermind that ALL had already undergone traditional CCSVI treatments.

This Dr. is the real deal, which is why I have no problem backing him up 100%, we've seen enough $ grabs on this, he is genuinely all about helping us. What a shame when only IR's now get any traction.

Send me your address and I will gladly mail a copy of each no charge. These are too big to scan and don't feel like messing with it. Pretty interesting stuff.

Mark
lovemystents@yahoo.com...
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: Virtually symptom free since, no relap”

The M.D. in question is Dr. Faro T. Owiesy of Corona Doctors Medical Clinics located in the Los Angeles, CA. area. He apparently speaks Farsi, English, German, Spanish, perhaps French.

Mark (CureIous) then posted photos of the above mentioned posters titled :
1. “An innovative treatment of chronic Migraine and Trigeminal Neuralgia (one hour, one time treatment)”
2. “Autonomic signaling in Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI): A perivascular approach for vasodilation of the internal jugular vein”

SO, What is the treatment?

Dr. Owiesy presented the following paper at the April 29-30, 2016 ISNVD (International Society of NeuroVascular Disease) meeting which focused on the vascular connection in MS. (It would be worthwhile to read the many abstracts on line to see the current research. It’s amazing to me that the medical community ignores the science while criticizing others for being “unscientific”.)

The PAPER

“Speculation that CCSVI and related MS is Caused by prlonged undetected Vasospasm of the OJV and Azygos Vein

Faro T. Owiesy, MD
Corona Doctors Medical Clinics
Corona, California, USA

Synopsis:
Multiple Sclerosis is a disease characterized by demyelination of axons as well as chronic inflammation. Multiple sclerosis exists in several forms; the majority of patients demonstrate relapsing and remitting mode of disease. However, yet no findings or speculation made about the etiology of relapse and remit. In early phase, multiple sclerosis often associated with autonomous dysregulation such as thermoregulatory dysbalance “hot and cold, chills and diaphoresis, bizarre dreams, tachycardia, and migraine headaches. In progressive form, it may present itself with dysesthesia of the upper and then lower extremities. Speculation of initial cause of inflammation, encephalomyelitis, is still controversial. The main dogma” If not viral agent, then autoimmune process!” still Influence etiologic view.
It is speculated that “CCSVI” and related multiple sclerosis caused by prolonged, undetected vasospasm of the Internal Jugular vein, and azygos vein. Intensive studies since 2009 reported by Zamboni et all revealed retrograde back flow of venous content is particularly relevant for the neurodegenerative status in CCSVI, and related multiple sclerosis, which presents its damage at different brain level.

Purpose:
Based on the hypothesis of autonomous nerve switch setting toward autonomic nervous system dysregulation by disproportional sympathetic activation or parasympathetic withdrawal, we out sourced 5 patients with different behavior of multiple sclerosis.

Method:
Patients were randomly selected at our clinic. Informed consent obtained. A sterile mixture of medication dexamethasone/lidocaine/thiamine prepared and administered directly into the peri –venous space of internal jugular veins.

Results By continuous follow-ups and ultrasound diagnostic imaging at 1, 2, 3, 4, 12, and 48 weeks, status of IJV evaluated for continuous flow and vasodilation. We found extremely satisfactory results associated with neurological improvement in these five patients.

Conclusion: Alternative administration of dexamethasone/lidocaine/thiamine mix perivascularly allows appropriate penetration of adventia and muscularis layer of the vein. It is tolerable and less aggressive.

Conflict of interest and Disclosure: Author has no financial relationship with any organization. The study was sponsored by Corona doctor’s medical clinics in Corona, CA

As further explanation, Dr. Owiesy had previously posted the following on the ThisisMS website

Posted on ThisisMS Re: Welcome to MS fowiesy02 – May 28, 2014

Hi. my name is Faro Owiesy, m.d, practicing family medicine in Corona,CA. In the path of research for Migraine headaches and craniofacial neuralgia for the past 15 years I learned the pathophysiology of the sympathetic and parasympatheic nerve system. Now I treat Migraine headaches -neuralgia with one session treatment with long term resolution. I had few patients with MS. To my knowledge CCSVI associated with MS or not associated with MS is a diesease of the autonomous nerve system with its Ganglia. Autonoumous nerve , sympathetic and parasympatehtic nerves acting from outside of the vessel maily from ADVENTIA not from INTIMA layer of the vessels. Their nervefibers never act and reach the Intima layer.Therefor Baloon Vasodilation -Venoplasty- in 80%-90% is not successful. Because the strangulation(stenosis) acts from outside the vessel not from inside. Peripheral nervefibers of the autonomous nerve system reach the Internal Jugular Vein through vasa nervorum. These nerve fiberes reach the adventia and muscularis layer not intima in arteries or veins. The effect of sympathetic and parsympathetic nerves are not permanent . they are under many factorial influences.Therefore we experience relapsing and remiting of the IJV permanently present. Remitting and relapsing is a character of the autonomous nerve system.
Within the past 16 months I performed a trial approach into the Internal Jugular Vein. Sofar I am experiencing interesting results. Two patients did have Venodilation and flow eversince. Their symptoms improved significantely. The thir patient just a week ago underwent the trial procedure. We will post the trial procedure and the results by end of the year 2014. This entery is only simple introduction into the MS and CCSVI news. Any question or discussion happy to attend.

So as far as I can tell Dr. Owiesy is basically saying that a “vasospasm” causes the venous stenosis observed in CCSVI MS patients, and by relaxing the spasm one can prevent the stenosis, thus putting an end to the blood refluxes. He administers dexamethasone/lidocaine/thiamine to effect vasodilation of the internal jugular veins. He states clearly he believes the problem is EXTERIOR to the vein, not INSIDE the vein and should be so treated. This idea is entirely consistent with the stress/body tension factor in triggering MS attacks. WOW. What is exciting about this treatment is that it is an inexpensive, simple remedy performed by an MD which will re-assure those who fear alternative therapies like acupuncture, kinesiology etc. (The latter must work by relieving the tension which triggers the spasm. However, the relief is temporary. Presumably Dr. Owiesy’s treatment is more profound and durable.)
Dr. Owiesy’s approach is entirely consistent with my thinking while proposing a simple, sound solution by a recognized medical professional.

Thus far the core ideas of my MSCureEnigmas site have been:
1. Dr. Zamboni proposed the breakthrough idea that MS is essentially a vascular disorder in which the CNS is injured by blood refuxes caused by CCSVI venous stenoses.
2. He proposed dilating the IJV, vertebral and azygos veins with balloon angioplasty.
3. I would expand that essential concept by adding that the CNS is injured by disruption of ANY fluid bathing the CNS (central nervous system) in particular cerebrospinal fluid and blood.
4. I added that the problem can be not so much blockage IN the vein as pressure ON the vein, thinking in particular of skeletal obstructions – bones, muscles, arteries. In this case angioplasty would be inappropriate and even dangerous. Chiropractic treatment would be more appropriate for skeletal obstructions.
5. Now Dr. Owiesy’s idea confirms my intuition that the origin of poor blood flow is exterior to the vein and can be treated manually without angioplasty. Thus is explained my following experience.

On reading about Dr. Zamboni’s Liberation Therapy “ I immediately asked my husband to massage my neck/back, both of us standing. He was to work from the head down to the waist while we both visualized the blood flowing down from my head to circulate through the heart. I felt better at once as the head congestion lifted. Late that summer stress triggered a MS “attack”. I wondered with a heavy heart how much ground I would lose. That evening I performed a TENS acupressure treatment on myself (see Acupuncture blog). I was shocked the next morning to realize the attack had abruptly stopped. Not diminished, not attenuated, but stopped. Years later when I studied my journals and records I realized a Shiatsu massage had abruptly stopped my first major attack in 1980 just when my Neurologist prepared steroid treatment. Opening the flow of blood/fluids was the best treatment.” Quote taken from my site www.mscureenigmas.net/

MEANING? The massage/acupressure released the vasospasm to open the blood flow.

O.K. Where are we now?

Dr. Owiesy doubtless hoped for deserved recognition for his work on CCSVI at the International Society of NeuroVascular Disease Conference in 2016. Apparently he was ignored by the Interventional Radiologists who are gung-ho on performing angioplasty in the Internal Jugular Veins of their MS CCSVI patients. While the IRs are frustrated by the lack of recognition for their work by the Neurological community, they in turn refuse to acknowledge the potential of treating CCSVI exterior to the vein. The same group only recently recognized the work of Chiropractors in treating obstructions EXTERIOR to the veins. And no one other than some renegade patients apparently wants to recognize my observation that the veins can be “opened” through massage and physical manipulation. In fact, Dr. Owiesy’s work confirms my thinking while offering a long term medical solution. Rather than having to get a one minute back/neck massage every morning or do a TENS acupressure treatment on myself, maybe I can get a one time one hour session that will correct the problem long term. And for those who only feel confident getting treatment by an M.D., what could be better?

(One cautionary note. Some MSers suffer from obstructed cerebrospinal fluid in the spine. Treating venous spasms may not be enough. Also, Dr Owiesy apparently treats just the Internal Jugular Vein. That may be a key vein, but also it may not be enough. My main paper postulates various factors. Did my early migraines portend the future MS? It’s a complicated question, but Dr Owiesy’s solution is simple and inexpensive, so why not try it? So what if it doesn’t "work.")

I sent Mark a personal message asking him to send the posters to me via my sister who lives in Alaska. After perusing them she can send them on to me in France. She suffers a serious case of the very painful trigeminal neuralgia (called the “suicide disease”). (What if, in fact, we have the same disease I’ll call childhood “Success Stress”. I have the added factor of the EBV virus following childhood Mononucleosis which is a marker for MS.)

CureIous responded to my comment under the thread “Re:Notes from CureIous at Stanford” on Fri Feb 10, 2017
Thanks Vesta! FYI just for posterity while we're at it I do have the ability to send more than one copy of each for the purpose of possibly sharing with either other patients or other doctors to just Network, there's absolutely no fundraising whatsoever involved in this, just for the record in case anyone thought there was any of that in this.
He reallly needs/desires collaboration with either larger universities or hospitals Etc it would not be that hard to set up a larger-scale study he just needs help he's a one-man Army at this point and one hell of an army I might add... the cost associated with this is so incredibly minimal versus any sort of study involving surgical procedures etcetera that it's an absolute shame it's not being studied harder and faster, as we all well know any one treatment modality is but just another piece of the puzzle that I believe the IRs are missing ,well at least some of them, maybe most. They are simply doing what they do best treating from the inside out he treats from the outside-in that's the main difference.
The ultrasound before and after do not lie the improvements in the woman patient with PPMS coupled with proper physical therapy has taken her from an almost predetermined course that her aunt and her mother both followed and we know how that goes from cane to wheelchair to bed to immobility and she was actually able to get out of her wheelchair and walk that's not a joke. She went from having assistance for dressing and showering to showering and dressing herself on her own this simply does not happen with PPMS patients her condition has not worsened for over 3 years now all from this simple treatment that is why I am so adamant this deserves further investigation and of course not to exclude all other avenues it is just worthy of consideration that's all.

I would stake my reputation and everything I own on this that's how strongly I feel about it.

Thanks for the private message I have that and about three other emails all I need really from people is an address and quantity if they are interested in sharing with others.

Mark Miller

Mark Miller has a right to be excited on the one hand and frustrated on the other by the lack of recognition by the world of medical research and by MSers of Dr. Owiesy's groundbreaking work. Hey guys, wake up and smell the coffee!!!!

Regards, Vesta

Return to “General Discussion”