no

Discussion of statins (Lipitor, Zocor, etc.) in the treatment of MS.
robbie
Family Elder

no

Post by robbie »

Was just at the doctor and asked for some lipitor but he said no and i said i wil see you in six months with high colesterol and we left and went right to mc donalds. I showed him some stuff on it and he said anything above 20mg is hard on the liver. How do u tell your doctor who just wants you to be as healthy as you can that you don't care about other stuff you just want the ms to be better.He shot the idea down quickly..
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Robbie, I was a 7 three and a half years ago and I've never taken statins.

Email me and I can send you some very good stuff to show your doctor.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

So tell him to monitor your liver enzymes. Are yours elevated as maybe that's why he is adamant. If not I'd push him on it. Agree to the 20mg for now if he will go with that.
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

Man, some doctors are so afraid of this drug that millions of patients take. I agree. Just tell him to monitor your enzymes. It is used so much and yet very few people have liver enzyme elevations. If he worries about muscle aches, we all know what that feels like so we can easily report them to the doctor. Try again, perhaps with more literature. The other thing I thought of is: say that you are fasting at your next blood test but actually have bacon and eggs for breakfast. That will mess up your results and he will think that your cholesterol IS high! :lol: Good Luck Carole
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Like you robbie, I just dont get this. The CRABS caused my liver enzymes to be all over the place (and they didnt work for me, Rebif), can cause suicidal feelings etc etc.

If I was in your place, I would find a new doctor.
carolew wrote:If he worries about muscle aches, we all know what that feels like so we can easily report them to the doctor.
From my understanding its a little more serous than aches. I have read its permanent irriversible muscle damage. But brain damage is a little more serious in my eyes.

My doctor gave me a prescription for 80mg/day Lipitor (the max dose), and I take 60mg/day. So far my liver enzymes are all within normal, except for one (ALS I think, which doesnt concern my doctor at all.) We keep a track of them. My father had to get off lipitor (for cholesterol) because of his liver enzymes. So I may be genetically suseptible.

My concern is that my cholesterol is WAY to low now. Its actually below the min reccomended by the lab. My doctor loves my cholesterol reading.

Return to “Statins”