Risks of Novantrone

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Novantrone
Pookie
Getting to Know You...

Risks of Novantrone

Post by Pookie »

My boyfriend Scott's neurologist recommends that he go on Novantrone. He has been on Betaseron in the past but had bad injection site reactions. Would he be better off on Novantrone? I hear it's pretty risky.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Risks of Novantrone

Post by NHE »

Pookie wrote:My boyfriend Scott's neurologist recommends that he go on Novantrone. He has been on Betaseron in the past but had bad injection site reactions. Would he be better off on Novantrone? I hear it's pretty risky.
Has he looked into Avonex? Personally, that would be my choice. Novantrone can only be taken for 2 years due to its cardiotoxicity. As such, it's not a long term solution. I've been on Avonex for 8 years and I typically don't get any site reaction at all (except for a small quarter sized bruise that has occured probably a half dozen times over all 8 years but then that was probably related to poor injection technique).

NHE
Pookie
Getting to Know You...

Post by Pookie »

Thanks for your input. He will be talking to his neurologist this morning and will ask him then.

I'm glad that Avonex is working well for you? How often do you inject?

Marlene
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Risks of Novantrone

Post by NHE »

Pookie wrote:How often do you inject?
Avonex is once per week. I alternate legs each week for the injections. If your boyfriend does decide to go this route, then I would recommend that he try the powdered form of the medication rather than the prefilled syringes as some people have reported that they experience fewer side effects with the powdered form.

NHE