Betaseron costs

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Betaseron
AudreyRose

Betaseron costs

Post by AudreyRose »

Has anyone found a generic version of this drug, to bring the costs down? Also, any tips on betting subsidized? We are trying to arrange some support from the Trillium Drug Program but it is very complicated and also ha a large deductible (inconjunction with my partial coverage through employee benefits).
Wendigo
Family Elder

Post by Wendigo »

Here in the US I'm on the Betaseron patient assistance program. My private insurance has a generic drug plan and there is no generic for Betaseron. I pay $75 for a three month supply, up from $50 last year. A couple of months ago I got an email or two from the program stating that due to the bad economy those who were paying the $50 cost would be getting the drug free. I don't know why mine was increased to 75 and should have probably questioned it. The drug's out of pocket cost is so prohibitive I feel extremely fortunate to pay the 75 for a three-month supply.
sileshoes

Post by sileshoes »

I cant believe the price of medicines for ms in the US,it is outrageous.I am from ireland and was on Betaferon injections for three years and paid nothing.In ireland when you are diagnosed with a long term illness you are given a long term illness card for any medications for this illness.I understand that these are expensive medications even in ireland but thank god for the scheme which is available to everyone no matter their circumstances.When will other countries cop on?Since when should you be penalised for being ill? :evil:
FastBenz
Family Member

Post by FastBenz »

You can contact the company. My copay went up to $550 a month from $40. I called Betaplus and now pay zero copay. Worth a shot.
MarkW
Family Elder

Re: Betaseron costs

Post by MarkW »

Clin Ther. 2012 Sep;34(9):1966-76. doi: 10.1016/j.clinthera.2012.07.010. Epub 2012 Aug 18.
Long-term cost-effectiveness model of interferon beta-1b in the early treatment of multiple sclerosis in the United States.
Pan F, Goh JW, Cutter G, Su W, Pleimes D, Wang C.
Source
United BioSource Corporation, Bethesda, Maryland 20814, USA. feng.pan@unitedbiosource.com
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a potentially debilitating autoimmune disease that affects the brain and spinal cord. Disease-modifying therapies have been shown to slow disease progression but were not believed to prolong the survival of patients with MS. The recent 21-Year Long-Term Follow-Up (21Y-LTF) study found a significant survival advantage for patients receiving early treatment with interferon beta (IFNβ)-1b compared with placebo (no early treatment).
OBJECTIVES:
The aim of this study was to conduct cost-effectiveness analyses estimating the long-term benefit of early treatment with IFNβ-1b among MS patients from a US societal perspective.
METHODS:
A Markov model was developed to simulate the experience of patients with MS from the 21Y-LTF study over a lifetime. Patients were randomized to receive either IFNβ-1b or placebo for up to 5 years and then receive a variety of MS treatments (including no treatment) thereafter. Survival data reported from the 21Y-LTF study were incorporated into the model. The model assumes that patients' MS was managed in similar ways for both groups during the uncontrolled phase of the 21Y-LTF study (ie, survival difference between the 2 groups is the result of early use of IFNβ-1b). Health outcomes were life-years and quality-adjusted life-years (QALYs). Costs included treatments, direct disease management, informal care, and lost productivities and were reported in 2011 US dollars.
RESULTS:
In the modeled placebo group, the median age at death was predicted to be 63.7 years, and the median survival time from disease onset was 36.7 years. Early treatment with IFNβ-1b reduced the lost health benefits by 2.8 life-years and 1.9 QALYs, respectively, after discounting. Total discounted cost for IFNβ-1b-treated patients was $86,223 higher than that of patients receiving placebo. The incremental cost-effectiveness ratio was $46,357 per QALY gained and $30,967 per life-year gained. Sensitivity analyses indicate the robustness of the model's results.
CONCLUSIONS:
Treatment with IFNβ-1b during the earlier disease phase of patients with MS significantly increased patient life-years and QALYs. IFNβ-1b is likely to be a cost-effective intervention for MS.
Copyright © 2012 Elsevier HS Journals, Inc. All rights reserved.
PMID: 22906738 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Mark Walker - Oxfordshire, England. Retired Industrial Pharmacist. 24 years of study about MS.
CCSVI Comments:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/8359854/MS-experts-in-Britain-have-to-open-their-minds.html