Supposed dangers of long term abx treatment

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Supposed dangers of long term abx treatment

Post by SarahLonglands »

Thinking that I had been a bit remiss over the last few weeks, I did a bit of catching up this morning, while waiting for some paint to dry, and I found this on the front page:

http://www.thisisms.com/modules.php?nam ... =0&thold=0
Recent interest in antibiotics as a potential treatment for MS have brought this class of therapeutics into our sphere of interest. A new study shows that acne sufferers, a group that often uses long-term antibiotics of the tetracycline family have an elevated risk for developing upper respiratory tract infections.

More specifically, for patients using topical or internal antibiotics for longer than six weeks, the risk for an infection was two times higher than for non-antibiotic controls. This is relevant for MS'ers using antibiotics as it shows the potential risks of long-term use of the drugs, particularly with respect to giving rise to antibiotic-resistant strains whose activity is theorized to pave the way for other opportunistic viral infections, such as influenza.
This was my reply:

Right, and how many upper respiratory tract infections have I had since starting antibiotics over two years ago? One cold which lasted all of three days.

The reason for taking two abx which work in synergy with each other is to avoid the developing of resistance - these treatments were developed by microbiologists who know about these things. Setting abx-resistant strains loose on the world is the last thing they would want. :?

Sarah (and no, I have never had a 'flu jab.)
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

Errors occur even in medicine.
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
kitkat2
Family Member

Ax

Post by kitkat2 »

Thank you, Sarah, for that reassurance. I am more confident than ever about starting an ax regime!
Kitkat2 :)
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

Hi, everyone - My neurologist commented this week, after I told him I will do the antibiotic regimen 'with or without you, if I have to drag you kicking and screaming through it with me'...... "But you may need antibiotics one day for an infection."

My response was, "THIS is the infection of my life, don't you get it?" I mean, really, what am I saving the use of antibiotics for if it isn't THIS? I want to be able to dance in ten years and run up and down stairs! I'll take my chances on long-term effects of antibiotics; as a matter of fact, I'm COUNTING on long-term effects of antibiotics!
MacKintosh
kitkat2
Family Member

Same!

Post by kitkat2 »

I echo those same feelings. The mere possibility that this, or any other Ax protocol might help to reduce my ms symptoms, or improve the quality of my life, is worth the chance.

This is our very lives I'm talking about. Our precious quality of life.

Glad to stand together with you, from one "pioneer" to another. :wink:

...to boldly go where no neurologist has gone before...LOL! :D

Kitkat2