Use of Minocyclin with the Wheldon regime

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
Frank
Family Elder

Use of Minocyclin with the Wheldon regime

Post by Frank »

Hi,

I wanted to ask whether it might be a good idea to use Minocyclin instead of Doxycyclin.

There are some MS studies that show good results using Minocylin maybe due to the fact that Minocyclin has some neuroprotective potential.

Thanks
--Frank
Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Hi Frank, doxycycline and minocycline are both neuroprotective, but David prefers to use doxycycline because it is easier to take and less likely to damage your liver. As a microbiologist, although with a training in neurology and neuropathology, he prefers to look at the whole person rather than just the CNS.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Frank, I think I read somewhere that you were looking at taking statins as well. Whenever i picked up my script for doxy, the chemist would warn me that there was another drug in the same class as doxy, that interacted with statins. But she was also quick to point out it WASNT doxy.

Additionally, I dont think i have read anywhere that has shown doxy to protect / improve the BBB, which can be found for mino. Although this does not prove it doesnt; i have a personal sneaking suspicion it would be found if they checked for it (have to admit i havnt searched pubmed either way).

I have switched from doxy to mino, and didnt notice a change.
Gilenya, 80mg Lipitor, Inosine, Minocycline, Suppliments galore.
3 CCSVI treatments, no major noteable benefits thus far.

Return to “Antibiotics”