more depressed during 48 hours after injection?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex

more depressed during 48 hours after injection?

Postby batpere » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:25 pm

Don't know if it has anything to do with losing my job a month ago (and knowing about the possibility for about 6 months) but looking back it seems that for at least the past 2 months I am getting really depressed for about 2 days after the injection. Has anybody else experienced this? I am not taking any antidepressant medication. (Should I be?)
Family Member

Postby sh8un » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:28 pm

I have never been depressed after my injections. In fact, they always give me a sense of control over this stupid disease. However small the reality of control I have may be does not concern me at that time. You should discuss this with your neuro b/c I have heard of ppl becoming depressed w/ Avonex. However, if you have issues in your life that are depressing, you may just be having a natural reaction to those problems and should seek help for that instead. Two moths is a pretty long time to feel depressed and you might want to think about seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist to determine what your needs are. My psychologist told me that ppl mostly become depressed because they have to inject themselves etc. and not because of the drug itself. I am not sure about that though. That is just what she told me. I mean, the drug company seems to be concerned about ppl becoming depressed while on the drug so you might want to give them a call directly too.
Hope my little babble helps.
Family Elder

Postby batpere » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:51 am

It's more intense for the first couple of days, not a continuous depression. Which makes me wonder if it could be being tied to the Avonex injection.
Family Member

Postby rasnet6 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:32 am

I had the same thing happen to me whilst on avonex, however my depressive periods lasted for 5 days. It was a form of depression where I felt spaced out and far too tired to consider anything including speaking to my better half.. I was locked into a world of my own, and didnt know what was happening around me.

I stayed on Avonex for a year and a half, and came to the conclusion I would rather have the relapses than feel rubbish for 5 days out of 7, I finally got the docs to believe me when I said things were so bad and they took me off the avonex. Within a few weeks I was a different person engaging in normal activites much to my partners delight.

So all in all I didnt have a good experience with avonex, however saying that a good friend of mine loves the stuff, so I think it is a very personal experince and you need to weigh up the good with the bad and do what feels right for you.

I am now on copaxone and doing better than ever (I hope I havent spoken too soon)

Good luck

Family Member

Postby Shayk » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:19 pm

I'm of the definite opinion it could be the Avonex precipitating your depression. Here's an interesting case study (about Rebif, another interferon) Depression and Suicidal Ideation in MS
We report a case of depression and suicidal ideation in coincidence with the start of increased doses of interferon beta-1a and their complete reversal following the drug withdrawal.

My experiences don't exactly match Rachel's but I've definitely concluded the side effects of Avonex in my case last about 4-5 days. You'll note the case study mentions increased "irritability". When my colleagues chide me about whether or not I took my "nice" pill on any given day, I usually say, "No, but I shot up last night." :lol:

IMO the capacity of interferons to precipitate depression in people with MS shouldn't be underestimated. I haven't switched to Copaxone yet but I'm definitely thinking about it. Sorry about your job....that can't be helping.

Family Elder

Postby pybgpoadwi » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:47 pm

I totally have the same thing that you are dealing with. The two days after I inject I am noticably sad. Other people ask me what is wrong constantly. I am just blue for a few days and then it passes. I am on 20 mgs of Lexapro - when I was off of it for a month - cried at the drop of a hat and was totally unstable! So. While I am still sad for the two days following my shot, the Lexapro helps with this feeling.

Good Luck

Return to Avonex