11%
Over $1250 a month
No votes

Total votes: 9

SlowI
Getting to Know You...

Avonex Cost

Post by SlowI »

I'm sure that with all the great knowledge that exists in this community, someone has found a lower cost way to get Avonex. Currently I get it from the direct delivery source. I am fortunate to have a good portion covered by health insurance, but still pay a hefty amount per month (like a car payment - I'm sure others can relate).

What's the best source people have found? Sam's ? Others? I'd appreciate knowing!

SlowI
marshalls

Post by marshalls »

I am obviously one of the few lucky. I only pay 30 dolars a month. Insurance covers the rest.
Debefree
Getting to Know You...

Post by Debefree »

My monthly cost is a $25 co pay. My insurance picks up the rest. Walmart charges $1275. I think..
Debe
dx 04/04 RRMS
Avonex 6/04-1/06
Rebif 1/06
hotpepper

Post by hotpepper »

Hi all, I pay 50$ co-pay. Insurance picks up the other $1097.OO. Thank goodness I'm still able to work and keep my insurance. Pepper
pathockett

What is costs

Post by pathockett »

Hi

Just to let you know that here in England Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, and Beta Interferon are all available free of charge from the National Health Service. This is particuarly good as I dont think a lot of people here could afford the figures that are being quoted here. I get a delivery once a month whcih contains all the needles etc of Rebif and also a variety of travel packs etc you can use when you go on holiday. I know the cost is very high and I think it is about 1700 dollars a month here but that is paid for by the government if you have relapsing remitting MS.

Kind regards

patricia
seelie
Family Member

Money Money Money Money

Post by seelie »

My pharmacist says I have the best insurance of any of his customers.... I guess so from looking at the responses ... I pay just $12 (USD) for a four pack. And we don't have a limit on prescription meds in our plan....

I had to lead a revolt a few years ago. We had a prescription limit of $3500/year -- which is adequate for most folks.... but not for us CRAB users.... I was out of prescription money in May and was going to have to pay the rest out of pocket.... My revolt worked I guess.... saved me about $6k/year....

This is another 'gotcha' with insurance that folks need to be aware of....

Hugz n Such
=Greg
I'm learning to breathe under water. It's quite beautiful down here.

I used to think that if I tried, I would drown.
seelie
Family Member

Post by seelie »

Hi Patricia/pathockett....

I only certain things from what I read...You've made me quite curious now.... you said...
Just to let you know that here in England Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, and Beta Interferon are all available free of charge from the National Health Service.
From looking at Inside MS (A Publication from the National MS Society) ... There is an article by JK Rowling (famous Fiction Author) ... in it she states...
In both the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland 8% [of MSers get CRABS] And in the U.K.? Between 2 and 3% You've got a better chance of being prescribed an MS-modifying drug in Turkey.

That would cost around 46 million pounds a year to give these drugs to every person with MS in the U.K. who would clinically benefit from them. That's a tiny 0.09% of what the National Health Service will spend this year
So which is it? Or are you both right? I have no way of knowing from this side of the pond... This is mostly for my information (and perhaps others who are curious)

And ... as a side note - I'm not sure we're helping SlowI with their quest for cheap Avonex... I think we're just all making SlowI feel worse... especially if it's back breaking financially and I'm gloating that it only costs me twelve bucks. I found a pretty good old article on:
Getting Disease Modifying Drugs in the US

Regards
=G

I'm learning to breathe under water. It's quite beautiful down here.

I used to think that if I tried, I would drown.
pathockett

what is costs

Post by pathockett »

Hi Seelie

The regulations over here changed a while ago and if a consultant thinks you will benefit from any of the modifying druugs then they are free of charge. The whole Rebif kit that i received is very comprehensive and it is all delivered directly to my home once a month. If the consultant thinks it will help you , you can choose any of the main drugs yourself without any influence from them or drug companies. I just chose Rebif as it seemed the easiest to administer. No consulatant or health authorites here can use the excuse of the medicine not being cost effective if there is a possible benefit to the patient.

Kind regards

Patricia
SlowI
Getting to Know You...

Post by SlowI »

Wow! Congratulations to all of you that have replied. I'm glad to know that several of you are able to get Avonex at a very low cost. I'm not, but God has provided some financial means for me. And unfortunately, one of you is worse off than I.
I would have guessed when starting this that most would pay in the $300 to $500 dollar range per month, and I have to say that I'm delighted that that is not the case. Maybe there are several MSer's out there that just can't afford to be on this medication. For you, I truly hope that advances in knowledge will be quick in coming and cheap in resolution.

Thank you all so much for the comments.
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

G,
That would cost around 46 million pounds a year to give these drugs to every person with MS in the U.K. who would clinically benefit from them. That's a tiny 0.09% of what the National Health Service will spend this year
Any time government agencies get involved in determining what they will pay for or not (location doesn't really matter) when it comes to drugs, one big question that is asked is the level of benefit that will be obtained for the patient versus the cost.

When it comes to the CRAB drugs, there has been serious doubt from many docs in the UK regarding the real benefit to MS patients. Dr. P. Behan's (Professor of Clinical Neurology, University of Scotland)Pathogenesis of MS published a couple of years ago, made some scathing attacks on MS research as a whole and he and his colleagues seriously questioned whether the CRABs gave any benefit at all.

Although Rowan indicates that the increased cost to the NHS would only be .09% of the total NHS budget, I suppose the people in charge of the NHS feel there is little point in increasing the cost if little or no benefit is obtained.

Harry
LindaR
Family Member

Post by LindaR »

I get my Avonex in a 3 month supply which is 12 injections and I pay a $50 copay for the 3 month supply.
Outlawbiker
Family Member

Cost of meds

Post by Outlawbiker »

If you're a Veteran of the U.S. military, you may be able to get your medications for a $7 copay per prescription filled.

If you can prove to the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) that you were treated for MS or MS like symptoms occuring while on active duty or up to 7 years after being discharged under conditions other than dishonorable, you (like me) can get your medications for FREE!!! It hasn't taken overnight to get to where I'm at now. But it was worth the long 4 year battle with the VA to receive my Service Connection for this disease.
LindaR
Family Member

Post by LindaR »

Good for your Outlawbiker!
jdamon
Getting to Know You...

Post by jdamon »

I consider myself extremely lucky in this situation, my insurance company has this medication under medical instead of pharmacy and they consider it a medical necessity, therefore i have a $0 co-pay. I was going through Direct Delivery but my insurance company just took over alot of si medications so I don't know what the future brings. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If anything good has come out of this I guess this is one of them.
J. Damon

All I want is less to do,
more time to do it,
and higher pay
for not getting it done.
kareng7
Family Member

Post by kareng7 »

Y'all are making me curious as to what health insurance plans you're on, since so many of you pay comparatively little for Avonex. Mine will be $300 a month, out of pocket. That's in addition to the $300 a month my husband pays for Enbrel. And we also pay for our own health insurance as a small business. The total monthly bill will be a mortgage payment for some parts of the country.

Would you folks who pay in the lower end mind sharing which health plans you're on?