avonex and hair loss

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
jasonc
Getting to Know You...

avonex and hair loss

Post by jasonc »

I've been taking Avonex for about a year now, and i've noticed my hair has begun to thin out quite significantly. Does anyone know how to stop this without stopping the interferon?

Thanks.
carolsue
Family Elder

Post by carolsue »

I noticed similar hair thinning on Rebif. I started supplementing with Vitamin E and Selenium. Can't say I noticed any difference or not.

carolsue
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: avonex and hair loss

Post by HarryZ »

Carolsue,

Hair loss, although not common, is a possible side-effect of Avonex. You can read about all the possible side-effects of this drug by going to this site:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drug ... 03537.html

Harry
jasonc
Getting to Know You...

Post by jasonc »

Actually my doctor said that NOTHING could be done :roll:
seelie
Family Member

Post by seelie »

Ayuup Ayuup -

Was first noticed by my hair dresser, then my wife... then me.... Men are always the last to know (or acknowledge hair loss)...

Supposedly baldness is a sign of virility for men - but prolly not when it's interferon induced......

I've switched to Rebif now - and expect more (less) of the same. I'm not especially worried about it... but if I were of feminie persuasion, I would likely be more concerned.

If it's bald and walking around or a full head of hair in a wheelchair... I think this is a no brainer...

Hugz n Blessed Be )O(
=Greg
I'm learning to breathe under water. It's quite beautiful down here.

I used to think that if I tried, I would drown.
kareng7
Family Member

Post by kareng7 »

Just followed an interesting line of research about thyroid problems and MS--since thryoid runs in my family. I found a study that says up to 24% of the people on interferon 1-a and 1-b develop hypothyroidism within the first year of treatment. Hypothyroidism can cause hair loss.

This study suggests you get tested if you're using interferon.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/conten ... 004-2326v1
BeckyLA
Getting to Know You...

Post by BeckyLA »

I've always shed quite a bit of hair, but lately it seems I'm loosing more. I've only been on Rebif for about 4 1/2 months, so I guess It might be awhile before I know for sure, but that would suck. A 24 yar-old woman going bald?
wintergirl

Post by wintergirl »

I did experience hair thinning/loss around the 5 or 6 month of using Avonex. I was lucky that I started out with a ton of hair to begin with I guess. Anyway.....it settled down and I can honestly say that after using Avonex for almost 5 years now.....I have just as much hair as before I started.