First injection today : /

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Avonex
Resinveins

First injection today : /

Post by Resinveins »

Hi everyone :) I'm newly diagnosed with MS and just did my first Avonex injection about 30 minutes ago. Was much easier than I had thought it would be.
It was only a 1/4 dose so I'm hoping initial reactions will be mild... guess I'll find out as the night goes on.

Anyway... just wanted to say hi.. and I'm glad there is a forum here for people to use to share MS experiences :)

Peace
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: First injection today : /

Post by NHE »

If you feel a fever, shakes, or muscle cramps coming on, then you'll probably want to take something like ibuprofen to counteract those side effects. I've never tried a quarter dose. My first shot was full strength. After being on the stuff for 8½ years or so, I still take 200 mg of ibuprofen about 4 hours after my shot to counteract the body and muscle aches.

NHE
Resinveins

Post by Resinveins »

All in all it wasn't so bad... a little achy... but tylenol helped.

Next week is 1/2 dose ... so we'll see how that goes.
mblake

Post by mblake »

Hi

Im new to avonex too had my 2nd injection last monday and all i have got is the cold shivers during the night but took nurofen ( think thats ibuforen in usa) but that seems to work for me.
Its good that we are only starting we can share our experiences :D :D :D
AllyB
Family Elder

Post by AllyB »

Hi to the avonex newbies :-)
I have been on it for more than 2 years now - the good news is it definitley seems to have helped my ms, the bad news is...my side effects have certainly dimished, but I still get pretty layed-up for 24 hours aftrwards, & I take whopping doses of ibuprofen (have experimented with many different drugs for the side effects).
But what I really wanted to say is - NHE is my avonex guru, he has held my hand through some difficult times with the treatment, and his advice has proved to be invaluable. He is a great support and a fount of knowledge and experience - if you have problems or questions, ask him, he is always so willing to share his experience and he has been around the avonex block a time or two...So, post your question or problem here, or ask for some support - he is great :-)
NHE, I dont mean to embarrass you, but you have always been so amazing, I just wanted them to know that you keep an eye on this forum and have so much experience to offer with avonex in particular - I would have stopped it after 6 months if you had not helped me deal with the side effects - my neuro did not take it seriously at all, if you remember, and I got so ill I wished to just curl up and die!! You gave me a whole bunch of tips that made it bearable. I guess I am one of those people who react strongly to it so will always feel crappy (most are not like me), but whew, what an improvement with your input...I am rambling, it is late at night, so will quit before I get really irritating!
All the best guys - stick with it, dont hesitate to post here, and talk to your docs if you are worried at any time.
Al
Bewitched
Family Member

Post by Bewitched »

You will be O.K. And, NHE IS A GREAT PERSON! I've been on Avonex for almost a year. Never thought I would inject myself but I DID IT and I'll be damned but you will be O.K.! That is all I have to say.

Return to “Avonex”