Campath research articles

A board to discuss the soon-to-be released drug Campath as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
bromley
Family Elder

Campath research articles

Post by bromley »

First thing - happy New Year.

A belated Christmas present for Lyon and others.

Here is a link to Dr Alasdair Coles which give an overview of his work with Campath for MS. If you go down the page there is a section called Key publications. The first publication is the research article on the 3 year Phase II trial (CAMMS 223) - open the PDF file. Worth printing out as it is quite long with lots of tables / data. It may help those considering this as a possible treatment option - it sets out the benefits and some of the risks that have been seen (on the Campath and Rebif arms of the trial).

http://www.neuroscience.cam.ac.uk/direc ... php?Alcool

There are also links to other research articles on Campath - the earlier work before the formal trials. I was not on CAMMS 223 but a smaller project - 15 or so patients. I don't think Robin was part of CAMMS 223 but another project / trial. Like Robin, I think this treatment has proved extremely effective at stopping relapses / the progression of the disease for those with RR MS. The treatment is most effective earlier in the disease course - Dr Coles & co acknowledge that this present problems - the treatment comes with some risks yet those who will see the best results are those early in the disease course (with little if any permanent disability). I like Robin, have seen good recovery from some of the deficits left by my relapses and have had no relapses since my first infusion some 2.1 years ago.

Hope this is useful.

Ian
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Campath research articles

Post by CureOrBust »

OK, so I am a little late on catching this point the first time. Or it just confused me more on the second read.
bromley wrote:I don't think Robin was part of CAMMS 223 but another project / trial. Like Robin, I think this treatment has proved extremely effective at stopping relapses / the progression of the disease for those with RR MS.
One thing that has stuck in my mind is that Robin had been "upgraded" to secondary(?) progressive in 2004.
Robin wrote:Diagnosed for 5 years with RRMS, recently upgraded(sic) to progressive.
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-3152.html#3152
raven
Family Elder

Post by raven »

I was/am part of CAMMS224. I don't know how the numbering relates to the research.

As for my 'upgrade' that was down to one form that I was presented with after being given a course fo IV steroids. In the reason for dispensation section someone had written MS - Progressive. I never did get the chance to discuss this with a neurologist.

I still have no idea how one determines whether a person is classified RRMS or one of the progressive variants. If the diagnosis for MS is a differential one in the first place how one is categorised correctly escapes me.

Despite being so categorised (even if perhaps by mistake) I decided that I had nothing to lose by giving Campath a try, although I will admit that I played down the extent of my disabilities a little in the initial interview for fear that I would not be accepted.

I don't know at what point Campath becomes ineffective. I do know that it has transformed my life and my outlook on life. That's enough for me.

Robin
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Lyon
Family Elder

Re: Campath research articles

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
patientx
Family Elder

Post by patientx »

Campath targets the CD52 protein, which is found on both T and B cells.

What doesn't make sense to me is, if MS is a T-cell mediated disease, then why do some treatments that target B cells, like Rituxan, have a positive effect?