HappyPoet wrote:drsclafani wrote:HappyPoet wrote:Hello Dr. Sclafani,
It seems I owe you a question.
Here is the question I owe you:drsclafani wrote:Cece wrote:Lately with the emergence of so many more docs on the field, they all have different strategies. I know of a doc doing unilateral ballooning, so if both jugulars need ballooning, he schedules them for different days. (This is quite cautious?)
this is quite proposterous!
Now I'm quite terrified! Can you please be more specific?
Let me put it simply:
you have to go to shopping mall where that are two stores that are next door to each other and from which you want to purchase some items at both. You walk, chair or drive to one store, buy what you need, then go home without visiting the other store. Then the next day you do the same thing to go to the second store.
a waste of energy, double the risk of a car crash, etc, and maybe the second store will not have the item the second day
Thank you, Dr S. I was worried beyond those reasons -- I wondered if you were implying there was some direct medical reason within the procedure itself that was a problem.
Those accepting this offer of help do so agreeing to the two-treament strategy, and I imagine all have different reasons for their decision. Due to the possibility of pain, which, for me, can cause an exacerbation with new symptoms, my pain management doctor dismissed concerns of a second "shopping trip" so that I can have time to recover from pain, if needed.
I know of other reasons people are opting for this strategy, and like most things in life, strategies can change over time. Also, doctors have been bringing back patients for a second "shopping trip" for many reasons, and the two-treatment strategy is just a different manifestation of more shopping which allows the doctor more time to assess the change, if any, in vein physiology from the first procedure and more time to consider more options, especially for the more difficult ballooning situations, without the pressure of time constraints due to patients' locked-in travel arrangements.
This reminds me of the $650 IVUS question -- is the cost worth the benefit to the patient: Would I pay the extra money for an IVUS catheter if it gives my doctor a better chance at finding all problems? Would I make a return trip if doing so gives my doctor time to consult with other doctors about my case?
Yes and Yes. Especially if I trust my doctor.
i understand your reasoning. i just do not agree that it is worthwhile