Katie41 in Poland!

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
fraser
Family Member

Poland

Post by fraser »

Katie41,

Sounds like you had even a better day than my husband! Just love reading about your wonderful day in Krakow. When we met you in the restaurant you were using crutches - it's just amazing to think of you doing all that walking and climbing without them.

What a joyous day you've had - we are so happy for you!!

Fraser

ps. Are badger & Tim writing a blog right now? Tried to find it on TIM's without luck.
QueenMum
Family Member

Post by QueenMum »

This is absolutely amazing. Truly a miracle!!

I am so very happy for you right now.

Take care of yourself & rest... You've had one heck of a week!!
ozarkcanoer
Family Elder

Post by ozarkcanoer »

Katie,

What a blessing to have such a good time after your procedure !! Please keep us posted on the tracking sticky on how you feel over the long haul. But enjoy every day of feeling good.

ozarkcanoer
Katie41
Family Elder

Post by Katie41 »

Actually, I did climb some of the stairs without the crutches; however, I still am using them for long distances. I can walk around the room without them and without wall-walking. I'm practicing walking more and more without them. I had broken my knee two or three times and my fibula in three places near my knee and then again close to it over the past few years, so I have to build up to support my weight. The muscles are now doing the work instead of the bones having to take most of it on.

Lest you think I'm daft for doing all of that yesterday, it wasn't planned.
1 1/2 hours it was castle climbing and walking, 1 1/2 hours was walking to the bus station, getting lost walking to the bus station, getting lost finding the bus when we finally found the bus station. We even got lost with the taxi driver - don't take the taxi.....It was VERY expensive and our driver got lost and actually drove down a one-way street and also drove where no vehicles are allowed! Then....we got lost with the tour guides! There was one in training, so we had an extra long tour. I would recommend taking the tours as it gives you a very good overall exposure to many places you wouldn't see if you were walking. The bus was a mini-van sort of vehicle, comfortable, and VERY inexpensive. I think it only cost about $7.00 each. It took only 1 1/2 hours. Get there early though, since the express bus, which was full when we got there, fills up quickly. We took the sort-of local. The express would have probably made the trip in an hour.

I haven't forgotten the questions re medication at the hospital. Our driver, the miracle worker, is getting that information, today. I'm glad you asked about it. When someone posted about the specific meds for the procedure in the States, I discovered I had an allergy to one, got it treated, and had no problem with it. If you have a stent you are on several different meds afterwards. I only have angioplasty with ballooning, so am on Fraxiparine for 7 days.

Once you know the meds, you can check with LaLache League and they can tell you or find out if those are OK when breastfeeding or can recommend substitute meds that will do the same things but will work for breastfeeding.

There didn't seem to be any restrictions re visitors. The room isn't tremendously large and there are two other patients in there, but one of the women had three visitors and it didn't seem to be a problem. Except when they are putting in IV's, giving meds, doing EKGs, etc., the visitors can come in. Most visitors left in the early evening, but we had had our procedures done relatively early that day. I was the last one and was finished by 5:00. On busier days, the last person may not get back to their room until 7 - 7:30, I imagine.

Badger and his wife left today. He will post when he gets home. Tim is still getting used to being able to think more clearly, He will post soon. Don't know what his screen name will be. He is new to TIMS.

Katie41
Katie41
Family Elder

Post by Katie41 »

Medication info:

I had just the Fraxiparine.

The people with stents had Fraxiparine, Areplex, and Polocard (Aspirin). I looked up Areplex and it does say contraindicated when breastfeeding.
hope410
Family Elder

Post by hope410 »

Thank you so much for sharing such a detailed account!

It really really helps those of us still mulling it over to hear the specifics. I so appreciate you taking the time to detail your experience and I hope you will continue to do so.

Thanks!
ComfortablyNumb
Family Member

Post by ComfortablyNumb »

Katie,

Congratulations and thank you for such detailed posts. It is great to hear glowing reports and to know what to expect at the hospital. I look forward to my date in May.

I wish you all the best.

Stephen
tipsyturtle
Family Member

Post by tipsyturtle »

How wonderful Katie41! Congratulations and thank you so much for the "play by play". Wishing you more wonderful days ahead.

:D
Katowice, April 7/8
Vhoenecke
Family Elder

Post by Vhoenecke »

Thank you Katie,

What great news you are sharing with us. I am so happy for you and your family.

Val
prairiegirl
Family Elder

Post by prairiegirl »

Congrats! So great to hear these encouraging results-- hope to hear of continued improvements for you. All the best!
berriesarenice
Family Member

Post by berriesarenice »

Katie41 wrote:Medication info:

I had just the Fraxiparine.

The people with stents had Fraxiparine, Areplex, and Polocard (Aspirin). I looked up Areplex and it does say contraindicated when breastfeeding.
Thank you so much for checking on this for me. Forgive me for bothering you so soon after your procedure. I wanted to apologize for asking that of you, but was too groggy last night.

Your experience of sightseeing for all those hours, and all those stairs, is inspiring... and almost hard to imagine ever doing. Thank you for the hope you give us by sharing your story.
annad
Family Elder

Post by annad »

Great news, Katie!
Keep well!
:)
Katie41
Family Elder

Post by Katie41 »

O.K., time for an update.

The first week after procedure: I'm walking much better - left leg supporting me. My neck is strong - can look up at ceiling for extended periods of time. I can lift head up with neck muscles. My trunk is strong. I can sleep on side that has painfully broken rib. My muscles are supporting my ribcage instead of just my bones.

My positional fatigue is gone. I don't "fall asleep" when my head is bent forward. I have lots of energy - not tired after walking three hours in Krakow.

My cognitive symptoms are not relieved. My left eye continues to be blurry. I had "blank spots" once for about 15 min. but no usual followup headache.

My neck is slightly sore; like a mild stiff neck.

The second week after procedure: My walking has deteriorated some. My left knee is not holding in place. I am standing much straighter throughout
the day.

Some cognitive symptoms worsened due to stress (daughter had pre-
cedure (2 1/2 hours), 24 hours traveling home, jet lag)
difficulty finding words, difficulty thinking
I had no "blank spots". My neck continues to feel like a mild stiff neck.
I noticed my right foot is straight when I walk. I had always thought I was pigeon toed. I have not had any choking episodes. I used to frequently choke. My gallbladder/liver are stronger. I ate lots of cheese, ham, and olive oil based food in Poland. That would usually cause gallbladder/liver
pain. I have had no pain my whole visit. Urinary frequency/urgency is no longer a problem.

The third week after procedure: No improvement in walking. I have lots of
energy. Today, I went shopping for three hours by myself! I
couldn't do that before the procedure. Usually, I would get confused, I would take forever to make a decision, things would become fuzzy or blurry. Today, I was alert the whole time! Everything stayed focused, including me! And, I made quick decisions. My thinking is clearer and I can find words much more quickly. There is still room for improvement.
My left eye is no longer blurry. It is almost disconcerting, but nice, to see
everything so clearly! Usually when I'm shopping in a store with fluorescent lighting, I get severe cramps in my feet within a half hour. Today, I had no cramps as I shopped under fluorescent lighting for three hours! All of the 1st and 2nd week gains continue; however, I am very dizzy. I'm not sure if it's because I did too much today or if it's because of the over 1000 aftershocks in southern Calif. and Mexico that we continue to have after the 7.4 earthquake right across the border, Easter Sunday!
Katie41
Badger
Family Elder

Hello!!!!

Post by Badger »

This is the first time I have found your link, all very good.

It is so warming to hear all the positive aspects from other patients.

:D :wink:
<em>Badger
RRMS 2004</em>
Appt Katowice 23/24th March
Zeureka
Family Elder

Post by Zeureka »

Great to hear such good news from you Katie :D . I heard from a friend who returned yesterday (had procedure week after you) that his eyesight improved a lot!

Keep up improving!

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”