Restenosis Prevention

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
laura383
Family Member

Restenosis Prevention

Post by laura383 »

I just ran across this form the New England Journal of Medicine:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/345/22/1593

--------------
Methods A combination of folic acid (1 mg), vitamin B12 (400 µg), and pyridoxine (10 mg) — referred to as folate treatment — or placebo was administered to 205 patients (mean [±SD] age, 61±11 years) for six months after successful coronary angioplasty in a prospective, double-blind, randomized trial. The primary end point was restenosis within six months as assessed by quantitative coronary angiography. The secondary end point was a composite of major adverse cardiac events.

Results Base-line characteristics and initial angiographic results after coronary angioplasty were similar in the two study groups. Folate treatment significantly lowered plasma homocysteine levels from 11.1±4.3 to 7.2±2.4 µmol per liter (P<0.001). At follow-up, the minimal luminal diameter was significantly larger in the group assigned to folate treatment (1.72±0.76 vs. 1.45±0.88 mm, P=0.02), and the degree of stenosis was less severe (39.9±20.3 percent vs. 48.2±28.3 percent, P=0.01). The rate of restenosis was significantly lower in patients assigned to folate treatment (19.6 percent vs. 37.6 percent, P=0.01), as was the need for revascularization of the target lesion (10.8 percent vs. 22.3 percent, P=0.047).
Conclusions Treatment with a combination of folic acid, vitamin B12, and pyridoxine significantly reduces homocysteine levels and decreases the rate of restenosis and the need for revascularization of the target lesion after coronary angioplasty. This inexpensive treatment, which has minimal side effects, should be considered as adjunctive therapy for patients undergoing coronary angioplasty.
--------------
granted we are not doing coronary angioplasty with CCSVI but it's food for thought.

Pyridoxine is a form of Vitamin B6
Last edited by laura383 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Very interesting...I'm going to look up homocysteine to see what role it plays in restenosis and if this is relevant to the sorts of restenosis we're talking about in CCSVI...in arteries what they're usually treating is plaque build-up, which is very different than innate malformations in the veins that is CCSVI, but if homocysteine has to do with the regrowth of the blood vessel walls after the injury done during the balloooning, then you could really be on to something here.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
kc
Family Elder

Post by kc »

I firmly believe that one of the reasons we r in this ms mess is maternal vitamin D deficiency. I have been on a supplement called VEIN SENSE for about 5 months. I figure it cannot hurt and most certainly can help. This is in addition to many other supplements.

I think we as a society have really done some serious harm to our bodies and future offspring. With our food supply and our lack of exercise in general. I am not necessarily a tree hugger but do see some people's dietary habits and cringe. (Sometimes even my own get out of control but I am trying to be healthy). I know kids who really believe a Sunday dinner is eating at McDonalds.

I plan to stay on vitamin D, vein sense , and other supplements after I am liberated.

This is very a very serious issue. Our bodies don't work correctly eating plastics, pesticides, etc.

This is an EXCELLENT post thank you.
kc
JoyIsMyStrength
Family Elder

Post by JoyIsMyStrength »

Great find, Laura!
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

It's a little uncertain; there was follow-up research to this that failed to find any effect. I'm going to do more digging.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
Ernst
Family Elder

Post by Ernst »

Im a big belierver with nutrition, healthy, nutritious, lots of antioxidant, etc.. They do affect our cells, how they work. Vitamin D is so much related to MS, that I would'nt be surprised if it relates to restenosis too. My wife has used vitamin D about 100-150 µg/day since her dx and our goal is to keep calsiciol about 150 nmol/l - through year. So far, so good.
My wife's 3 yrs post video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLeqLps8XR8

Our family: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_QCKxeQAlg