If you get angioplasty against neurologist's recommendations

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Deena
Getting to Know You...

If you get angioplasty against neurologist's recommendations

Post by Deena »

Hello,
My husband just asked a good question. If you get angioplasty against neurologist's recommendations, then you have an emergency and need to be treated locally, will the hospital refuse to treat you? Would insurance bust you? This is a hard question to get answered :) so I wondered if anyone just knows.
Thanks,
Deena
gothicrosie
Family Member

Post by gothicrosie »

Angioplasty is a regularly performed VALID treatment for valid medical issues.

There is no BUSTING except perhaps by the uninformed neurologist on your butt for getting the treatment. :)

As far as I am aware, medical emergencies are medical emergencies and are treated accordingly. Hospitals that refuse to treat a medical emergency get shut down. If your insurance does not cover a medical emergency, you best get new insurance.

Just my 2cents. 8)
Best,
Rosie
My blog: http://gothicrosie.wordpress.com/
transverse myelitis May '07 & optic neuritis Oct '07
DXd RRMS Dec. ‘07: No lesions & 3 OG bands
Hubbard MRV scan Jun. ‘10/CCSVI Jul. '10
BadCopy
Family Elder

Post by BadCopy »

Whether you purposely cut off a finger or have an accident an ER has to treat you.
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Re: If you get angioplasty against neurologist's recommendat

Post by euphoniaa »

Deena wrote: Would insurance bust you?
In the U.S., it sounds like most people's insurance has been paying for CCSVI treatment. That's what makes it so weird that hospitals don't want doctors to do it.
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
TMrox
Family Elder

Post by TMrox »

I had the balloon angioplasty without informing my neuro. After I informed my doc I was told to find another neuro if in the future I needed further consultations. I felt dumped. But I have now found an open minded neuro who has agreed to follow up my case on a regular basis.

My GP confronted with the facts that I had 2 stenoses and that I now need regular vascular follow-up has referred me to a private hospital. The costs of the angioplasty and follow up tests (doppler) have been paid by my private health insurance.