3 months post-liberation of skincoll!

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

Post by newlywed4ever »

scincoll & eve - thank you both for such valuable info. Do you happen to know if one can do the B3/Niacin safely while on Plavix post procedure?
Johnson
Family Elder

Post by Johnson »

newlywed4ever wrote:scincoll & eve - thank you both for such valuable info. Do you happen to know if one can do the B3/Niacin safely while on Plavix post procedure?
What I found thanks to Google;
17.5 Concomitant Medications

Ask patients to list all prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, or dietary supplements they are taking or plan to take, including prescription or over-the-counter omeprazole, so the physician knows about other treatments that may affect how Plavix works (e.g., warfarin and NSAIDs) [see Warnings and Precautions (5)].
http://products.sanofi-aventis.us/PLAVIX/PLAVIX.html

With that caution out of the way (I am in no way qualified to advise anyone on anything pharmacological), here is a Google snack - Google search = "plaxix, niacin"

and, Drugs.com claims that
There were no interactions found in our database between niacin and Plavix
However, this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Niacin is in the following drug classes: miscellaneous antihyperlipidemic agents, vitamins.
Niacin is used to treat the following conditions: Depression, High Cholesterol, Hyperlipoproteinemia, Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IV, Elevated VLDL, Hyperlipoproteinemia Type V, Elevated Chylomicrons VLDL, Niacin Deficiency, Pellagra.

Plavix is a member of the drug class platelet aggregation inhibitors.
Plavix is used to treat the following conditions: Acute Coronary Syndrome, Heart Attack, Ischemic Stroke, Ischemic Stroke, Prophylaxis, Platelet Aggregation Inhibition.

Read more: http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/ ... z0zBUrJnuN
I think it's pretty safe. Start at a low dose (like 25 mg - what you get in a B-complex ~), and work your way up. Do consult your doctor if you have concerns. Don't freak out when you flush, it causes intense skin sensitivity for a short time, and your skin gets very red. My eyeballs even get the flush. My understanding is that is Candida albicans getting nailed.
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

Plavix-niacin

Post by newlywed4ever »

Johnson, thank you so much for doing my homework for me! I appreciate the info.
eve
Family Elder

Post by eve »

Hi all, just some more on Niacin, hope you don't mind Skincoll - it will lower your bad cholesterol, increase the good one, it is great for your veins and arteries and also, very interesting, it is used in livestock (cows in particular) to protect them from heatstroke! :lol:

Niacin makes you less sensitive to high temperatures and/or temperature changes. It makes your core temperature go down by about 0.5 C and I have found I am way less sensitive to temperature , both hot and cold. I can tolerate them now.

Before taking Niacin I would turn the heater up to 21 C as I got cold and stiff so easily in winter, now 18 C is fine with me. Also this summer I went to the tropics and the heat did not bother me one bit while I used to have trouble with anything above 23-25 C.

Finally I'd like to add that asperine should not be taken before Niacin as it will lessen your flush. So I take my Niacin in the morning and asperin at lunch.

I feel having the flush is vital in the case of CCSVI, so it's not just taking your supplements, you should really try to have a flush each time. But that is just my personal conviction. :)

In this link there's info about Niacine interacting with other meds:

http://cholesterol.emedtv.com/niacin/ni ... tions.html

Loads of interesting facts about Niacin in the above website, check out this little piece 'Studies have shown that niacin can slow the buildup of plaque within the arteries and may even reverse the buildup of plaque. These studies used niacin in combination with a bile acid sequestrant (another type of cholesterol medication); it is not clear if niacin alone can produce these benefits.'

This is the research paper about cows and heat stress.

http://www.oldmilltroy.com/images/Niash ... ress_2.pdf
dx 2002,RRMS,  suspected begin of MS 1978 (age 10)
mtf
Family Elder

Post by mtf »

Hi skincoll,

It's good to know that at least one of us (I was also in Poland for the procedure) .
I have more news and as soon as possible I will update.

regards
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

Post by newlywed4ever »

Eve - thanks for the interesting/informative websites!

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”