CCSVI and CCVBP

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
dania
Family Elder

Re: CCSVI and CCVBP

Post by dania »

uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Thanks for the post Dania. NUCCA is a good upper cervical technique. I sent several cases of MS to Dr. Foran.
NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Dr F have you noticed in your reading that Leaky Gut is becoming inter-linked at a base level to Ill-Health particularly when it is a co-incidence or exists prior to injury.
My current library of reading about many de-generative disorders keeps coming to the same base factor at the bottom of the pile of 'cause factors' possibly the waiting or silent factor that creates the cascade of symptoms that is common across most if not all diseases that are assumed auto-immune or no known cause. One of the main sources or creators of inflammation, as well as disrupting any function we have as an organism!
Because of my teaching and work experience I tend to notice when there are linked or repeated factors and my Devil's Advocate thinking then works on the pieces. Everything from vascular, to diet, to misalignments and pretty much every other implicated imbalance is connected by Leaky Gut issues waiting, waiting, waiting ........until ..........

;)
Nigel
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Nigel,
I was very influenced by Dr. Bernard Jensen and iridology. Like the tongue, the iris provides some good diagnostic clues. The eye is an outgrowth of the brainstem and aqueous humor is nearly identical to CSF. Dr. Jensen recognized the connection of the gut to many chronic health conditions. In additon to diet and supplements he used slant boards and colonic hydrothreapy to eliminate antigens and restore gastro intestinal health. I had many Italian and Jewish patients in my practice and became quite proficient at treating different types of gastro intestinal problems from candida and celiac sprue to colitis. Fortunately, despite significant chronic diet and intestinal problems none of them got multiple sclerosis.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Author: Wostyn P
Med Hypotheses. 2004;62(6):925-30.

Over a decade ago, I formulated the hypothesis that cumulative effects of exposure to high intracranial pressure (ICP) may contribute to the development of Alzheimer's disease (AD), though not necessarily in an exclusive way. In addition to individual ICP characteristics (high 'physiological' ICP) and diseases causing ICP elevation, various activities with significant Valsalva effort, such as weightlifting and wind instrument playing, can generate very high ICPs. Recent studies of normal-pressure hydrocephalus (NPH), glaucoma and Alzheimer's disease provide supportive evidence for this hypothesis. A number of studies have shown a high incidence of AD related lesions in patients with NPH, which is known to be associated with prolonged elevation of ICP in a majority of cases. In both NPH and AD, an important decrease in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) production was calculated. According to researchers in the US, the resulting CSF stagnation with impaired clearance and accumulation of neurotoxic substances may play an important role in the onset and progression of AD. They tested the hypothesis that improving CSF turnover by means of an investigational low-flow ventriculoperitoneal shunt will delay the progression of dementia in patients with Alzheimer's disease. With regard to the observed decrease in CSF production in patients suffering from NPH, it was postulated that chronic increased ICP causes downregulation of CSF production. It is hypothesized here that repetitive intermittent ICP elevations also may lead to downregulation of CSF production due to long-term cumulative effects. If the latter proves to be true, then both chronic increased ICP and repeated exposures to increased ICP (e.g., repetitive Valsalva maneuvers) may cause a similar cascade of CSF circulatory failure events leading to AD over time. Furthermore, AD may be causally related to increased ICP through other pathomechanisms. Additional supportive evidence for the role of a pressure factor in the pathogenesis of AD comes from studies concerning glaucoma. Elevated intraocular pressure (IOP) is a hallmark of glaucoma. Recently, similarities in pathophysiology between glaucoma and AD have been noted, with increased processing of amyloid precursor protein (APP) and up-regulation of beta-amyloid protein expression in retinal ganglion cells (RGCs). Given this link between AD and glaucoma, evidence for a causal relationship between repetitive intermittent ICP elevations and AD is gained from research indicating that high resistance wind instrument playing raises IOP and may result in glaucomatous damage. To test the validity of the hypothesis that exposure to repetitive but nonsustained ICP elevations may predispose to AD a non-invasive, epidemiological study is proposed in this paper.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

I formulated my hypothesis regarding the role of upright posture and chronic NPH in neurodegenerative diseases over thirty years ago. I also recognized the similarity between NPH and gluacoma, as well as the role of inversion flows and Valsalva maneuvers in intracranial pressure. I cover those topics in my book, as well as bats, giraffes, whales and astronauts. The artificially deformed human crania, bats, giraffes and whales provided important forensic evidence of cranial hydrodynamics associated with inversion and Valsalva maneuvers. Researchers are just starting to catch on.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

NZer1
Family Elder

Post by NZer1 »

Good read Dr.
I like the newer understandings where the individual cells have more of a role in synergetically combining to be the sum of the Total Being.
Memory 'storage' sites around the body have shown holes in the old text book theories and technology is finding that transmission between cells and also between regions of our body to our brains has to be transmitting at a faster level than cell to cell transmission of data signals.
The influence of conscious and sub-conscious mind is now being seen as only a portion of the driving forces of the Human body.
The technology that has advanced the knowledge of radio frequencies is focusing more on the effect on Humans and there fore the way Humans use radio frequency for 'on-board' cellular transmissions.
The concepts of Body Mind previously held about the Minds 'power' in the Body is evolving as technology in health is now becoming aware of these radio frequency communications between cells, cells which are technically not Self but other or co-habitants of our 'body'.
Amazing insights that show Health of the Whole is about Health of the individual cells as a matrix of balances.
Basic issues such as how security of the Gut layer will change multiple layers and matrix's of Health issues and finally the Medical World will name the total issue as an individual or isolated 'fault', such as Fibro, MS, Alzheimers, Lyme and so on, when the primary driver or cause of imbalance appears not associated to the outcome disease. CPn chronic infection and Heart disease have been interconnected for instance, but how did the CPn infection begin and why did it have effect on one individual and not all individuals. Gut security does make a difference when it is breached due to imbalance of toxins, diet, immune system function which will all disrupt the security or body protection system at cell level, the Endothelial cells. A repair at Gut level plus repairs at multiple levels that have been made dysfunctional, a matrix dysfunction, and with time rebalance can occur. The dx's given to disease are purely a name for outcomes, they do not inform us of the total picture and all of the steps in the dysfunction.

Functional Medicine or Biological Medicine is teaching us many things that were 'unseen' before by Alopathic Medicine.

Fluid dynamics in many diseases has a cause that is so complex that the understanding is at the embryo stage, the issues are so complex that picking one facet of the picture will not change the whole picture, it will though help investigations over time to understand the big picture.

;)
Nigel
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

quote dr. flanagan--Over a decade ago, I formulated the hypothesis that cumulative effects of exposure to high intracranial pressure (ICP) may contribute to the development of Alzheimer's disease (AD), though not necessarily in an exclusive way. In addition to individual ICP characteristics (high 'physiological' ICP) and diseases causing ICP elevation, various activities with significant Valsalva effort, such as weightlifting and wind instrument playing, can generate very high ICPs

dr. flanagan, with weight lifting causeing this and their muscles tighter than average i'll bet that if a person could afford to get a massage everyday and learn to relax and mediate right it would help us. unfortunatly most can't and to add insult to injury as i worsen i become more tense and movement becomes harder and a person is straining harder even clenching teeth more. it all becomes almost like a sick cruel joke.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Blossom,
You are absolutely right. Disabilities and inactivity lead to co-morbidities that make the underlying condition worse. Co-morbidities can and should be managed. If I were treating you, in addition to full spine craniosacral counter-strain type corrective care, including the extremities, you would be getting plenty of physiotherapy, such as therapeutic deep tissue massage, hydrocollator, electrical muscle stim, intersegemental traction, full body traction and flexion-distraction. Acu-tens and nutraceuticals would be secondary in your case. You mostly need structural work.

The quote you posted was taken from an abstract of a paper by another author I posted. The author discusses a theory he proposed in 2004 regarding the role of high intracranial pressure from activities associated with Valsalva maneuvers such as weight lifting in Alzheimer's. He also goes on to discuss the similarity between AD and glaucoma. As I posted previously, I proposed a theory over thirty years ago regarding the potential role of normal or low, not high, intracranial pressure, called normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH) in Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and multiple sclerosis. I also cover the similarity between Alzheimer's and gluacoma in my book. It something I realized from the start of my investigation. Lastly, I discuss inversion and Valsalva maneuvers in bats, giraffes, whales and humans in my book. I also discuss Valsalva maneuvers that occur in aviation physiology, marine physiology, weight lifting, muscial wind instruments and whales when they dive.
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

TY Dr Flanagan for looking at my upright MRI. I looked up what you saw, Cervical Lordosis and Kyphosis and that is 100% me. I can feel my spine is in this position when I sit in my wheelchair and my shoulders are turned forward. Now that I have this info I am much more aware of how much my posture is affecting me, ie. my contracted muscles. If you were treating me, what would you do?
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

I would treat you the same as I would treat Blossom. You no doubt have many co-morbidities due to the MS and immobilty. The structural imbalances in the spine along with immobility, muscle weaknesses and spasms strain the musculoskeletal system, which puts additional stress on the brain and cord as well as their circulatory systems.
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

A big TY Dr Flanagan. I changed my position and within a minute my muscles relaxed and I was able to move my right foot plus lift it up 6 inches. Could not move it 1mm before. I so get, what you are saying.
uprightdoc
Family Elder

Post by uprightdoc »

Your welcome Dania. Prolonged sitting due to disabilities can cause changes in the normal curves of the spine which strains the cord and changes blood and CSF flow dynamics in the cranial vault and spinal canal. Lack of movement leads to sluggish blood, lymph and CSF flow which causes metabolic wastes to accumulate. Metabolic wastes can be destructive to any tissues, especially nerves. If you can't move or massage muscles and joints on your own than you need a professional, therapist, family member or friend do it for you.
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

I sleep in a recliner as I can no longer get in and out of a bed. Plus lying flat is now very uncomfortable, causes more muscles to contract. Yesterday I had someone add a big towel to the back, and now, knowing that I have cervical lordosis I kept my neck and back as straight as I could. Interestingly, my feet that are so swollen were almost normal after a few hours. Unfortunately when I got back into my wheelchair my feet became swollen again.
I will find someone to massage me. Thanks for the tip. Can you recommend a chiro in my area. I live about an hour drive west of Montreal.