To Beet or not to Beet?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
AlmostClever
Family Elder

To Beet or not to Beet?

Post by AlmostClever »

OK, I need some opinions on this one. I think this ties into CCSVI and cerebral bloodflow pretty well.

Many of you have mentioned beets and beet juice and with the recent findings about beet juice's benefits in increasing cerebral blood flow, I have been thinking about adding drinking a little beet juice each day as part of my regimen.

My concern is about the high level of vitamin K in beets and my coumadin. I've never had a blod clot and am on the coumadin as a precautionary measure after getting a stent last year.

I've started today with 2 ounces of beet/apple blend juice each morning to see if I notice anything.

Here are some links-

Pubmed abstract:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20951824

Wake Forest study description:
http://news.wfu.edu/2010/11/03/benefits-of-beet-juice/

The participants in the Wake Forest study took 8 ounces a day and had measurable increased bloodflow to the white matter of their frontal lobes.

Just curious to hear some comments :)

(For those of you wondering what it tastes like, I would describe it as very bland and earthy - not repulsive but not up there with Kool-Aid either!)

A/C
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

I think Terry Wahls drinks a lot of Beet Juice. I am sure its part of her regimen. It Beet Juice Beetroot in the UK? (purple stuff?:)
Johnson
Family Elder

Post by Johnson »

I can't comment about the Vit. K and its possible effect with your coumadin course, but I do swear by beet juice, and when combined with carrot juice and grape seed extract, there is nothing better for turning around an optic neuritis.
My name is not really Johnson. MSed up since 1993
MegansMom
Family Elder

Post by MegansMom »

I can't really comment on the nitrate/nitrite benefits but beets are one of the "super foods" as are many other brightly colored foods. In general all foods that have deep hues are rich in antioxidants & great for endothelial health. Berries, that is strawberries, blue berries, raspberries, all berry types, etc also green leafy veggies such as spinach, kale and collards, cruciferous veggies such as broccoli & sprouts, sweet potatoes, melons, carrots, tomatoes are great too.

The brighter the color the better ! And BEETS sure are brightly colored!

So stop smoking, limit caffiene, stay well hydrated, eat a diet rich in color during every meal, and get exercise.....keep moving!
Cat (Catherine Somerville on FB)
MegansMom
My 35 yo daughter is newly dx 8/19/10 (had 12 symptoms)
Dx with Type A CCSVI- 1 IJV & double "candy wrapper" appearance of her Azygos
Venoplasty done Sept 21, 2010
Doing extremely well-
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

re beets and vit K... are you talking beetroot, or beet greens?

here is a link to the nutrient breakdown in beetroot boiled - no vit K.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2349/2

here is a link to the nutrient breakdown in beet greens. they are a vitamin k powerhouse (yet note how strongly anti-inflammatory they are..)

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/veg ... cts/2812/2

i think the magnesium, vitamin E, vitamin A etc in the beet greens would help balance out the coagulating effects of vit K in beet greens.

my 2 cents on beets: eat em up, roots or greens. within reason of course, and balanced out with a wide variety of other healthy foods.

yum!

jimmylegs
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Post by AlmostClever »

I am talking about the BEETROOT.

After looking around the web, it is very unclear whether or not there is any Vitamin K in the beetroot. The greens seem to have all the vitamin K but some Warfarin sites say to not eat beetroot while on Warfarin. Ugh!

Jimmylegs, I think you are right about the beetroot being safe for Warfarin users. I just want to make sure before upping my intake of BEETROOT juice!

I wonder if they used beetroot juice in the Wake Forest study but all they say is beet juice.

Thanks!
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

I have been on Coumadin for over ten years. The trick is to take the same amount of beetroot every day, an adjust your coumadin so that your INR is between 2 and 3. Alcohol also effects coumadin. It makes it stronger. Again, if you have a drink every day that is fine. The problem arises when you ingest large amount of substances that affect your INR but do not do it every day.
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Re: To Beet or not to Beet?

Post by ThisIsMA »

I'm unearthing a really old thread to ask if anyone on here has been using Beetroot juice with good results recently?

My MRI shows slowed perfusion (and studies have shown this to be common in MS). According to what I've read on the internet about beets, they are supposed to increase brain (and muscle) oxygenation. And they are supposed to also dilate veins. It seems like this should theoretically be good for MS and CCSVI.

Lakewood brand juice company (I am not in any way affiliated with them) recently came out with an organic beet juice. Previous to this I had been using a vitamix blender to create smoothies that included whole organic beets, but my fogginess caused me to lose focus and cut my finger pretty good while slicing beets, so I gave up on the whole thing for awhile.

For the last few days I've started in with the smoothies again (a combination of kale, carrots, beet juice, pineapple juice, and frozen berries).

Anyway today I seem to be unusually spacey. but I had less smoothie today than I'd had other days.

My question is: I'm wondering how important it is to take the same amount of beet juice at regular intervals to keep the same amount of perfusion and dilation. Its occurred to me that switching back and forth between more and less perfusion might be harder on your brain that if it stayed at the same low level.

I can imagine no-one probably has an answer to this, but if anyone even wants to speculate on it, or has anecdotal experience with using beets to improve brain fog, feel free to reply!

My disclaimer: I am not a doctor or medical professional. Seek professional advice before making decisions about your health.
DX 6-09 RRMS, now SPMS
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

There are many reasons to consume beets/beet juice:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23828331

Synergistic cytotoxicity of red beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.) extract with doxorubicin in human pancreatic, breast and prostate cancer cell lines.

According to this article beetroot works synergistically with doxorubicin and makes it more effective.

Along with cabbage, asparagus, broccoli, and spinach, beets contain an enzyme (also called "vitamin U" because it helps in healing ulcers).
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Wanted to add some info Galaxian shared on the diet forum on L-Aze, causing misfolded proteins and MS-like myelin loss associated with sugar beets. Although sugar beets are vastly different than red beets---L-Aze is still found in red beets and beetroot in smaller quantities. http://www.thisisms.com/forum/diet-f9/topic25881.html

Something to consider is toxicity of L-Aze in beets, according to research from Stanford.
Azetidine-2-carboxylic acid in garden beets (Beta vulgaris).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16516254

There are many different ways to increase NO, vasodilation and cerebral blood flow---UV rays, exercise, colorful foods full of phytonutrients. Beets are one dietary means, but so are berries, greens and spices.
It's always best to incorporate the whole lifestyle, rather than rely on one particular source, so you don't overdo it.
All things in moderation, especially beets!
Here's more info:
http://ccsvi.org/index.php/helping-myse ... ial-health

ThisIsMA---I'd keep drinking beet juice in moderation, but always mix it up with kale/ginger juice, berry smoothies, etc. Shifts in perfusion don't harm the brain...it's used to it. Cerebral perfusion changes all the time, depending on sleep/wake state, exercise, mental energy, etc. The best way to increase perfusion is to hydrate and then do some cardiovascular exercise. Nothing beats it!

cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

This summer we're doing a CSA farm share box again which is the only way I've found to get myself to eat beets. Apparently I will not willingly buy them, but if they're in my fridge, I won't let them go to waste. I am pro-beets based on everything I've read here.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”