TOS SYNDROME

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
dania
Family Elder

TOS SYNDROME

Post by dania »

munchkin
Family Elder

Re: TOS SYNDROME

Post by munchkin »

Dania, you have found some of the most relevant information for some of us. I have just read the first couple of pages and I am so angry at the medical community. My first symptoms were with my arms and hands. I don't know what it means now.

Thank you for finding this.
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

Cannot take credit for the find. But I thought it would be good to pass it along.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Really glad this may be helpful info for you, Munchkin. Just an FYI- This isn't published research--it's taken from a blog/ TOS informational site, and while it's very interesting that the TOS researchers have found CCSVI and venous reflux in MS patients, this isn't peer-reviewed. It's from Dr. Poblete's blog.
http://cirugiavascularactual.blogspot.c ... d-its.html

TOS is very different from MS/CCSVI, in that there is no demyelination or venous reflux (the doctors mention that in this paper) and the symptoms are specific to neck, shoulder and arm nerve pain and arm weakness, due to compression of nerves and blood vessels at the clavicle area. TOS does not affect the lower body. Dr. Zamboni has explained that CCSVI is created by truncular venous malformations, not clavicular inpingement...which are now noted by researchers at the Cleveland Clinic and BNAC. These malformations have been seen on autopsy and by doppler ultrasound.

Dr. Mehta and other vascular surgeons treat TOS. Search Thoracic Outlet Syndrome on TIMS, you'll find lots of info....especially in the chiropractic threads.
Here's more info for those who have arm weakness, swelling and nerve pain in arms and shoulders.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002406/

There is something here, but it is not the cause of CCSVI. Dr. Zamboni published research on this, in peer-reviewed medical journals, and other researchers have noted truncular venous malformations as well. What TOS may turn out to be is a related differential diagnosis (like Hughes Syndrome, Lyme, ADEM) which should be tested for and treated if patients present with arm swelling, weakness, and upper body pain.
Hope this helps explain this pdf paper and where it came from-not peer-reviewed, not published, from a blog.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
munchkin
Family Elder

Post by munchkin »

Thanks for the info cheer. I watched your video with Jeff and it was very interesting to put faces and voices to the names that have become so familiar.
TOS is a very interesting component for me, I don't know what difference it would make for me now anyways.
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

dr. noda surgery for ctos has been discussed at tims also. which seems to go a step further and effects more than the upper body.

Neck and brain transitory vascular compression causing neurological complications. Results of surgical treatment on 1,300 patients.
Fernandez Noda EI, Nuñez-Arguelles J, Perez Fernandez J, Castillo J, Perez Izquierdo M, Rivera Luna H.
SourceHato Rey Community Hospital, Puerto Rico 00918, USA.

Abstract
In this brief article we describe the role of compression of the vertebral subclavian arteries, internal mammary, internal carotid arteries, brachial plexus and coiling and kinking of the vertebral and basilar arteries, the faulty irrigation of blood supply and oxygen of the cerebellum and basal ganglia of the brain. Among the effects are: a decrease in the secretion of dopamine at the level of the putamen, which produces the symptoms of Parkinson's disease, and chorea due to chronic transitory faulty blood supply and oxygen to the caudate nucleus, ballism by hypoxia at the level of subthalamic nuclei and athetosis in the lenticular nucleus. This compression is caused by the anterior scalene muscles and the cervical ribs at the level of the vertebrae C6-C7; by the sternocleidomastoid at the level of the cervical atlas; and coiling and kinking of the vertebral, basilar and the internal carotid arteries. The decreased blood supply to the cerebellum and basal ganglia is the cause of the Cerebellar Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (CTOS) and its neurological complications, among which are ipsilateral paralysis, Parkinson disease and others. We are presently engaged in several studies to widen our understanding of this phenomenon.

PMID:10064369[PubMed - indexed